Lifestyle tips

Makeup: what works for you ? what didn't ?

le sigh...i am not a professional...but i will take a looksee.
smiley i have a couple trunks of make up.
I know what everyone means with mineral makeup, i think personally the more "fillers," like kaolin clay, tends to make people break out more. there are a million places now that sell mineral make up... there are 3 tips for buying mineral makeup.
1- no talc...causes skin and lung issues.
2-pure minerals...check the ingredients, and google them.
3-buy samples, wear them to see what happens on your skin for at least a month.
there are so many places that buy from wholesalers, like tbk trading...then use fillers and repackage for a higher price. i have learned this the hard and expensive way.
i do not buy bare minerals, it doesnt provide enough coverage for me. i do not buy MAC anymore.
My favorite mineral make up? PureLuxe Minerals, sample jars of 1/8 to a teaspoon ending up being more, much more.i ordered almost every color she had, and she always has sent me free samples, checks back and is sweeeet.
face products-
i use cover girl aqua smoother with MUFE hd primer. if i need more coverage then that, i use dior skin forever extreme wear with a dab of goth white from manic panic.
i tanned once in my life...
anyways i set that with kryolan hd powder, translucent.

some of my fave eye stuff...because i am an eye make up junkie...
kryolan- i have the uv day glow pallet, the white, black and silver aqua cakes. these are great to line eyes, act as a base, or as flashes of color. they are water activated, relatively inexpensive and vibrant colors.they blend until completely dry, then are smudge proof and remove with water.they do not stain your eyelids, even without a base.

UDPP, urban decay primer potion... i have tried lotsa primers...elf's comes close... but 2faced caused my eyes to water and tear.i also love the chunky glitters people hate with this company.their waterproof 24/7 pencils are worth getting...mine have stayed on for 3 days straight, great for traveling.the transforming pen...makes me extremely happy.

pureluxe- everything from duochromes, to neutrals... to vibrant neon and glow in the dark colors.smooth... works wet or dry, eyeliners in any color can be made and i have used some pinks as a blush.

Ben Nye...if you dont like paying 16 bucks for a MAC shadow...great company. they are just as pigmented, can be used as loose pigment...cheaper. i have over 20 colors from them...and i use them nearly everyday.

i own way to much make up. it is a hobby of mine. i have avon, jordana, joe, MAC, MUFE, kryolan, aromeliegh, BFTE, Glamor doll eyes, NARS, Ben Nye,covergirl, maybeline, hard candy, UD, SmashBox, Benefit, manic panic, ladyburd, lime crime, bitchslap, paintFX, medusa, stargazer...

i spend alota time on makeupalley...and talking to pineapple... lol.
14 years

Carolina_Dee wrote
HELP !!! I am looking for a foundation that is easy to apply, does not irritate my eyes, gives great coverage, looks nice and smooth, and lasts about 5 hours at least of looking good. Does such a product exist? Am I living in a dream world? LOL

My Dior DiorSkin Forever 25 SPF 010 works great.
I noticed you are very fair skinned like me... I actually use some white powder to lighten this up, and a primer from MUFE.
This kind I have has that nano-technology without the talc... But does have parabens. smiley
The awesome thing is it has silica, or silicon to stretch and cover things.
It also has a hydra gel in it. You can layer it, for more coverage.

I am going to write some reviews soon on my blog here for my make up...and other things of course!
Good luck Dee
14 years

TubbyTiffany wrote
i pretty much love the make up i use. the only thing i'm still a bit unhappy about is my eyeshadow. i'd really like a black creme eyeshadow. If anyone can recommend something, that would be awesome!

oh hey doll!
are you using a primer? how about sealing the cream eyeshadow with a powder?
want my suggestion?
i suggest urban decay primer potion... then use kryolan black aqua cake.
then seal with with any black matte or sparkly shadow you want.

most creams are emollients... so they will tend to crease up. it is an oily based product, mixed with the oil on your eyelids... crease-city.
a primer helps the cream or shade stick not move, or crease, or fade.

kryolan is a cool company that has make up that is activated by water, and sets until you take it off.i use the black often, if only for eyeliner.dual purpose item for me.
I like and prefer mineral eyeshadow, and some companies have lovely blacks.
Urban Decay, my primer of choice has a nice black cream eyeshadow. It has some sparkles in it.
urbandecay.com/products/AsphaltCreamShadow.cfm
14 years

NightAria wrote
Right now I use cover girl for my foundation, I have an 88 color eyeshadow palette from coastal scents its amazing has great pigment. I like to play around with the colors so much, I use a gel eye liner from coastal scents as well. The gel eyeliner stays on better than pencil. I use any random light gloss on my lips.

oh man... i want the costal scents stuff. like bad....
smiley
14 years

Carolina_Dee wrote
Honey who do you buy your kryolan from ?

Oh I tried the Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer sample from Sephora, its a very sheer, moisturizing, foundation with a natural dewy finish that's really lovely. The makeup faded away after awhile but left hardly any residue. I think it would be best to set it with powder. I ordered it, and The Lorac creamy eyebrow pencil and the Kat Von D Lip Gloss today. Thanks to Ruby for turning me on to her cool stuff and great videos on youtube smiley

Hiya!
I get my kryolan from 2 places...which I know and can guarantee are safe and good to use...
I originally went through Shrinkle on Ebay... because she took money orders and ships super fast. There are like 2 places that sell Kryolan in America... Shrinkle and the San Fransciso Store...Shrinkle sends in a bubble mailer, sealed and new. She includes an invoice and card with her logo on it. She emailed me back to make sure it was all good.I ot mine within 2 weeks of her cashing my money order. Plus... you can not find it cheaper.
Here she is on ebay...
myworld.ebay.com/shrinkle/

Then I went to this awesome place here in town that now special orders anything I want... they also helped me fill my friends stockings with the pallets of lipsticks... I had some dupes of MAC made, cut them up and used the empty pallets...I don't know about shipping from here to you, might take longer.
they just had some crazy sales...missed them...anyways the girl who owns the cute little pink store next to the bar worked on boogie nights and other movies. i adore her. she is awesome and always orders me new stuff...like la femme and ben nye.
makeupmania.com/

yea lauren mercer is getting some flack... i personally do not use her items, i have her violet pallet...do not want.
how do you like the kat von d?
14 years

Carolina_Dee wrote
What is your favorite rouge any one and why ? I want to try Nars since its pretty popular and the color choice is good. Has any one tried it?

I own Orgasm. Total neutral shade... seriously this stuff is the only blush someone who is as snow white as I am can wear. It looks good on my sister who is very dark in comparison to me. It is a peachy color, with gold flecks for some shine. For her it gives a nice glow to her skin, for me... a nice after love glow. The pink is more peach then they lead on.

I had such issue trying to find a blush for years...Avon, Mary Kay, and even 4 trips to Sephora for someone to sit me down in the chair. I am supposed to be warm toned...dark hair and eyes.
Then one day someone randomly mentioned it, got a sample and fell in love.
My 2 cents.
There are of course many dupes for it now...L’oreal Front Page Peach Blush Delice is more pink, but still has the awesome gold in it.
Super Orgasm however is terrible with chunky glitter. Looks insane, do not want.
I use is sparingly because it is pigmented.
14 years

MissAmanda wrote
Amatrix wrote

My Dior DiorSkin Forever 25 SPF 010 works great.
I noticed you are very fair skinned like me... I actually use some white powder to lighten this up, and a primer from MUFE.
This kind I have has that nano-technology without the talc... But does have parabens. smiley
The awesome thing is it has silica, or silicon to stretch and cover things.
It also has a hydra gel in it. You can layer it, for more coverage.

I am going to write some reviews soon on my blog here for my make up...and other things of course!
Good luck Dee

hiii smiley

what's the white powder that you use?

hey dude!
I use Dreamtone White foundation now...in Virgin.
It mixes with my Dior better, or even just some moisturizer.
here is the dreamtone in virgin...
*manic panic, for goths and coooooool kids.*
manicpanic.com/dreamtone.html

Then I used manic panic pressed powder in moonlight, crushed it up and had it in my old 10 gram jar.
I still use it as a high light on cheeks or whatever.My skin gets dryer in the winter so... I switch from powders to liquids.
manicpanic.com/vr_pressed_powder.html
14 years

bbwsweetienorcal wrote
Amatrix wrote
Carolina_Dee wrote
What is your favorite rouge any one and why ? I want to try Nars since its pretty popular and the color choice is good. Has any one tried it?

I own Orgasm. Total neutral shade... seriously this stuff is the only blush someone who is as snow white as I am can wear. It looks good on my sister who is very dark in comparison to me. It is a peachy color, with gold flecks for some shine. For her it gives a nice glow to her skin, for me... a nice after love glow. The pink is more peach then they lead on.

I had such issue trying to find a blush for years...Avon, Mary Kay, and even 4 trips to Sephora for someone to sit me down in the chair. I am supposed to be warm toned...dark hair and eyes.
Then one day someone randomly mentioned it, got a sample and fell in love.
My 2 cents.
There are of course many dupes for it now...L’oreal Front Page Peach Blush Delice is more pink, but still has the awesome gold in it.
Super Orgasm however is terrible with chunky glitter. Looks insane, do not want.
I use is sparingly because it is pigmented.

Orgasm shows as bright bright pink on me (NW20 skin)...It's a very nice blush, I love mine, but there's nothin neutral about it on me smiley

yea, I had the same issue with Russian Red from MAC.
I look like The Joker with it on.
I guess neutral doesn't really mean for everyone...
I do remember when I took home mine, and slammed my brush into it. Then I applied it...holy jebus.I had this bright peach streak with gold bits.
LOL
14 years

Urban decay primer potion for the eyez...
MUFE HD primer for the face.

Occasionally I will use ELF mineral primer, when I am traveling.
14 years

Carolina_Dee wrote
Oh yes I do of course. But interaction with the lovely women here is more fun smiley Being older and trying to play catchup on the new products and techniques is not easy. I did my makeup with the same products for a long time. I'm still playing with it and having fun after all these years of wearing makeup.

and that is PURE awesome.smiley
14 years
123   loading