Extreme obesity

Vehicle modifications

So, as my belly has started to lightly touch my steering wheel (after a while of it only happening when I brake) I've found myself wondering. Has anyone here had modifications done to their vehicle so that they can keep driving while the belly keep growing?

I've been looking at some of the modifications out there. Most of them wouldn't work, but 2 seemed plausible.

Foot steering, where there's a little wheel that they have you turn with your foot

and a horizontally mounted wheel, where they have it come towards you like a wheel on a platform. Almost like a plate served to you.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience with any of this.
14 years

Vehicle modifications

You can't have a small steering wheel if you have a car with airbags
14 years

Vehicle modifications

softissexy wrote
look into vehicles with bigger spects for interior like suvs compared to compacts, luxury cars are usually roomy.

already in a bigger car smiley if I up my SUV anymore I'll be in a hummer lol
14 years

Vehicle modifications

I have this problem because I am super short and belly heavy.

I had to try on MANY cars/trucks/vans after I pushed over 475 because I didn't fit in the car I owned at the time.

I currently own a Nissan Quest. I find minivans to be far more forgiving with room/space. My steering wheel tilts upwards and the pedals move so I can reach them.

I know another SSBBW who is also belly heavy with the same vehicle. She had her front seat rails moved back as a previous poster mentioned.

There are many modifications that can be made and some are not very expensive.

I also use a scooter 95% of the time and I have a lift in the back of my minivan that was actually installed without modifying the original van. I didn't have it professionally installed as it only took an hour or so to just attach it to existing hardware in my car.

Lastly, I almost purchased a 2nd hand van that had hand controls. I test drove it and it worked fine for me. But I wanted to get a traditional setup so that my car wasn't just fit for me to drive if I could.

Hope some of that helps.
14 years

Vehicle modifications

Heather, do you mind saying how expensive the scooter and mount were? I'm looking at scooters, and even at 250 lbs, the ones that'll take me are crazy expensive...
14 years

Vehicle modifications

juicy wrote
Heather, do you mind saying how expensive the scooter and mount were? I'm looking at scooters, and even at 250 lbs, the ones that'll take me are crazy expensive...

Juicy,

Scooters can be incredibly expensive, but you can find amazing deals on them. I currently own a few and only one did I get brand new and even then, I got it at wholesale.

I am QUITE the shopper and I would love to help you find something that will be comfortable and affordable. Ebay and local advertisements can be an amazing resource. If you'd like to talk about it, drop me a line.

But for some examples:

I currently use a Pride Legend. It's rated to 300-350 lbs max and I'm over 550 lbs. The ratings are a bit of bull if you are able to upgrade the batteries. This new costs well over $2000 but I got mine used for $500 and it was maybe ridden a handful of times.

I'm not sure if it's the same in the UK but many elderly people are pushed into buying scooters here and using some of their medical benefits to get them, etc. They then get them and HATE to drive them or can't really do much with them without a lift, etc. So you'll often find that they sit in garages or basements, sometimes unused until they finally sell them.

As for the lift, I am not sure how it works in the UK for car modifications, but I imagine there has to be something similar. I paid $1700 for a full platform lift. This means that I open the hatch to the back of my minivan and a platform comes straight out and then down to the ground and I can drive the scooter right up onto it. I them get off the scooter and press the remote and it lifts and then tugs the platform and scooter right into the back of my van. To buy a modified van with something like this would tens of thousands of dollars over what a normal van costs, so this is quite the value.

There are also lifts that are simply bolted in that have a hook that clamps onto a part of your scooter and lifts it and then you swing the scooter in your vehicle. These are less expensive but need installation. BUT... if you are only 250 lbs, you can probably get a scooter that is compact and much lighter. I bought one that folded up to the size of a large suitcase with a press of a button a few years ago. I loved that I could lift it up and put it in any car. But it's rating was to 275 lbs and the battery was not interchangeable and therefore I'd drain it very fast and it'd NEVER get me up a hill or small incline. It was for flat riding only and for short days out.

Anyhoo, I have a lot of knowledge on this stuff. If you are seriously considering something and have a budget in mind, drop me a line and I'll see what I can do to help. I've also tried a numerous amount of models and I know what ones are more comfy and the turning radius on them, etc. These things are also important smiley

Hugs,
Heather
14 years

Vehicle modifications

Shazzy i have been looking into mobility scooters, i am thinking of setting up a buisness for obese people and make custom equipment to make life easier.I live in a small town in east anglia i go to a local auctions from time to time and scooters are often there. Believe it or not the last time i went one went for just 30 quid you can find them cheaply if you know where to look and know what you are looking for. Hope this is helpful.
13 years

Vehicle modifications

shazzy wrote
I would love a golf cart but that would be more for fun and messing about than for mobility.

lol

shazzy + golf cart = trouble smiley
13 years

Vehicle modifications

Hey folks,

I saw this as a facebook ad

www.extendmyseat.com/

So far they only have it for the Prius, but I emailed them with my car make/model/year and they put me in a database as they expand (snicker).

I don't think this is exactly what they intended with their marketing, but thought I'd bring this to folks attention!
13 years