Lifestyle tips

Weight gain/being fat leads to increasing chances of cancer?

I was driving around today and a commercial for a baritrican place here in STL was making the claim that weight gain/being fat leads to higher chances of cancer?

Has anyone ever seen a study confirming this?
13 years

Dredhed wrote
There're studies "proving" anything and everything. I can't site one, but yeah. There have been studies that link that. I doubt it's a direct link, though.

Sounds right to me.

EVERYTHING causes cancer these days, I used to believe everything that was written when it mentioned a "study" but have started to notice that the majority of these "studies" tend to be incredibly one sided and usualy funded by those who benefit most from the results.

So, as with everything these days, i'd take the information with a grain of salt. smiley
13 years

Computersaysno wrote
Maximum wrote
Dredhed wrote
There're studies "proving" anything and everything. I can't site one, but yeah. There have been studies that link that. I doubt it's a direct link, though.

Sounds right to me.

EVERYTHING causes cancer these days, I used to believe everything that was written when it mentioned a "study" but have started to notice that the majority of these "studies" tend to be incredibly one sided and usualy funded by those who benefit most from the results.

So, as with everything these days, i'd take the information with a grain of salt. smiley

A grain of salt? A grain of salt???

:osmiley:osmiley:osmiley

Don't you know how deadly that stuff is? There are studies, I tell you, studies! Dear folk of Fantasy Feeder, do not follow this dangerous, subversive individual, he is determined to lead us all to destruction with his sodium-rich habits!

[small]{Cheers for the set-up mate, played for and got I'd say. smiley}[/small]

You know they say more people are having heart attacks cause of too much salt rather then obesity these days? smiley
13 years

Seylle wrote
Gaining weight and being fat causes cancer?
*Adds to the list of things he's heard people say causes cancer, in no particular order*

Cell phones, earphones, power lines, spicy foods, sour foods, too much sugar, too little sugar, televisions, radios, global warming, global cooling, the sun, the moon, the stars, mutants, too much flouride in the water, any water from Mexico, pesticides on produce, food in plastic containers, microwaving things in tupperware, freezing things in plastic baggies, malt liquor, malt shakes, defective hormones in dairy cows, defective hormones in chicken eggs, smog, smoking, aliens, the occult, evil bunnies, red meat, game animals, poor hygiene, genetics, toxic waste, swimming in the <insert your hometown> river, shellfish, pollution, Al Qaida and other terrorists, the government, (pencils in: gaining weight, and being fat) Ok, my list has been updated. smiley

I hope I don't sound like a jerk, but my philosophy is Cancer's bad, mmkay? I've known many a person whose had it, win or lose, close family and friends, it's a terrible tragedy and it really is painful to see. I just try to enjoy my life within my personal limitations and go about my day, on the flipside, i've known athletes to have heart attacks, so even with every nil of a reason, bad things still happen. smiley Welcome to the world of the real, Neo.

LMAO, lately for some reason I find myself agreeing with your posts quite a lot...GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!

Great post anyway...I was going to say something meaningful and constructive to this thread but you and the other posters have it pretty much covered I think...
13 years

I wouldn't say that obesity causes cancer, more likely the habits that lead to obesity cause cancer. For example, trans fat when fed to rats gave the heart legions and cancer, and what is trans fat used for? Cooking fast food, do you get what I'm saying? Whatever happened to cooking in healthy, delicious saturated-fat.
13 years