Extreme obesity

Money

So as some of you know or may not know i am a feeder and i have a boyfriend,who plans on becoming a ssbhm(700lsmiley. Last night we where talking and one of the topics that came up was at what weight would he be able to start getting disability? Now my question is can he get disability for being morbid obese? Or does he have to have other problems in order to get, like my mom did (5'4, 400lsmiley ?
13 years

Money

You can't disability for just being fat. There has to be something wrong which is permanent and can't be fixed.

Most fat people can not lose weight, so I think it is fair that they get disability if they truly can not work. However I agree with the others here that it is not fair for the taxpayers to support someone who chooses to be fat and is looking for a hand out.

There are millions of people who are in wheelchairs, blind, etc who go to work every day. If someone can sit at a computer and post on FF, they can sit at a computer or phone at work and do something productive.
13 years

Money

I think I missed word my previous statement. We are not planing on getting disability once he is larger,in fact he is planing on working from home once he is too large. I was just asking if it was at all possible for people to get it for being fat. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Oh and why am i getting a happy face with glasses after i put the pound sign?
13 years

Money

People also have to remember several things. It's not just money coming from thin air. It is taxpayers' hard earned money. And as another person pointed out, there's only so much to go around. Not only for other disabled people, but for other services, such as better raods, libraries, schools, medical research, etc.

Also, knowing several people on disability, it is barely enough to live on. So, it is to the disabled person's advantage to try to find some work they can do. And may times it takes a lawyer to get the disability money, so lawyer's fees have to come out of the money too.
13 years

Money

Here's my issue with this;

I think Social Security/Welfare/Unemployment what-have-you should only go to those who are in the most DESPERATE need of it. If you can get by without it you should, otherwise you become a drain on the assets of the state. Which has far reaching repercussions when all of the individuals that can be classed as such are taken together.

Being 700+lbs...is it a handicap, of course. But does it qualify one to take "free" money from the government, no. Let's face it the person in question had the assets to feed themselves to that size, whether by design or not, why not be able to maintain that same life-style on their own.

Don't get me wrong, these benefits are a great thing. But when so many abuse the system it starts to strain it so that a lot of people who do deserve these benefits start to be denied them. *sorry if I came off as a little pissy smiley*
13 years

Money

winterstocking wrote
Hng. I've always thought that it should go to _anyone_ in a situation like that, whether it's self-made or not. I barf up 40% of my wage in taxes every year, and if that's not going to help *everyone* who needs it, then I want to know where the hell the money is going.

Instead of holding individual people accountable for the failings of Government it seems more logical for you to make Government accountable for the unnecessary expenditure in other areas that makes you need to classify people in terms of "DESPERATE", "KINDA NEEDY", and "DID IT TO THEMSELVES SO SCREW 'EM".

Exactly, it should go to anyone. Anyone who needs it that is. Also, if someone falls into your third category I'm not arguing against helping them...but say for instance that person is a drug addict. If you give them money without getting them clean first what do you think they'll turn right around and do? If you thought they'd go blow it all on drugs then you'd be right.

Also if you try to give government help to everyone who's "Kinda needy" then you're gonna run out of money really quick. Just about everyone in the USA is "kinda needy".
13 years

Money

This is a complicated issue, as so many posters have contributed to pointing out.

First of all, if we don't have enough money to pay for kids with diagnosed disabilities, there's already something seriously wrong with the system and how it's funded. But people in the US are always so anti-tax--that's one major factor that leads to inadequate services.

Second, I agree that people shouldn't play the system. Without doubt.

Third, what if you start to gain and something happens to you as a possible result? like legal blindness from diabetes? Do you still not get any money? If you're an idiot and engage in street racing and end up a paraplegic, should the state not pay for you?

Fourth, who should determine whether the person is genuinely disabled or not? or whether or not they got that way by intention? Suppose I can't get around in part due to my size. Some people--and I know there are some of you who dont' believe this, but I *know* it's true--get very fat without meaning to. How should a social worker decide who's deserving and who's not?

Systems that try to figure out who deserves benefits and who doesn't almost always end up being cruel to people who are vulnerable and can't handle it. I would rather live in a system that took a bit more money from me and took care of people than one that treats people like they're lying scum before they open their mouths.
13 years