Lifestyle tips

Swollen, painful ankles

Ankle supports or ace bandages are a good idea, as are good shoes and gel inserts. But I think Xut is right--the best solution is asking for a stool to sit on. Even if you're working the floor, sitting on a stool for 10 mins every hour might really make a difference.

You might also do ankle strengthening exercises--I found they really helped, though my problems came from too-long ligaments, not my size. Still, might be worth a try. Here's an ok page of some:
www.shapefit.com/ankle-exercises.html
13 years

Swollen, painful ankles

Yeah, I hate my FANKLES!!!

I get swollen ankles by the end of the day regularly, even though I don't stand for a living, and have noticed that three things make it worse: hot weather; drinking alcohol the night before; and inactivity. So if I sit motionless at my desk all day in August with a hangover, I have fankles by evening. Such a sexy look.

I was advised by a sports massage therapist to avoid heat, booze and inactivity (obviously) and also try:

1. Plunging your feet/ankles into a bucket of ice cubes & cold water, for as long as you can bear it;
2. Body brushing with something like an Elancyl massage tool or other knobbly massage mitt, in upward strokes from foot to knee (do it sitting down with your legs horizontal out in front of you - has little effect whilst standing, or sitting with your legs down below you);
3. Lying with your legs above heart level (eg lie on the floor with your legs up the wall) to give the capillaries a fighting chance to return the fluid to ... um, wherever it belongs.

I also heard someone advise reducing salt intake as this can be a cause of water retention.
13 years

Swollen, painful ankles

ThatReesesGirl wrote:
Does anyone have a suggestions or personal recommendations? And no, don't say get another job!! smiley

I do have (apart from supporting tights and lowing NaCl intake): go swimming! It has been 'own skin' proven, since I walk a lot too, and use swimming to relief painful ankles.

Swimming works slightly massaging and draining on your whole body. The surplus water will move out of perifere parts of your body, such as your swollen ankles, and soon you'll feel an urge to pee. the swelling will decrease as well as the ache.

It is nice, light sort of exercise, that doesn't put any extra pressure on your ankles and doesn't leave you breathless.

And above all, it will not make you burn all to much calories, so you can stay all nice and plump. smiley
12 years