Lifestyle tips

Getting fat for your health...

I was just playing around with this longevity calculator (gosset.wharton.upenn.edu/mortality/perl/CalcForm.html) and found out something really interesting:

A depressed 130-lb woman has a shorter life expectancy than a non-depressed 400-lb woman! So if being fat makes you happy, it might actually make you healthier than you would be otherwise!

So if eating and gaining make you happy, it may be the best choice!
12 years

Life Expectancy: 34.27
Lower Quartile : 29.36
Median Lifetime: 33.28
Upper Quartile : 38.69

Damn didn't think it would be that bad lol

Edit: I can't seem to get above 40 no matter what I change? :S
12 years

Life Expectancy Results
Life Expectancy: 71.17
Lower Quartile : 64.62
Median Lifetime: 72.89
Upper Quartile : 79.96

Hahah what I take away from this is that even though I eat takeaway more than twice a day and smoke lots of weed and cigarettes I will still live longer than Max
12 years

hahaha I also like how one of the questions is whether the person that drives you around the most is male or female hahaha
12 years

Note that if you put in your height wrong (e.g. 5'7" instead of just 67) it doesn't catch it and will seriously screw up your results!
12 years

Life Expectancy: 79.78
Lower Quartile : 71.96
Median Lifetime: 81.28
Upper Quartile : 88.67

Good little test. I scored too high on having a really stressful year, which also led to me smoking again. Personally I think having no humpty dumpty in the past year has got to be a bit of a downer, but all it said was I was at no risk of getting Aids.
12 years

I'm currently around 230 lbs at 74 inches (6'2) and the calculator shows that at my previous weight of 120 lbs (about 10 years ago) I would've lived over a year less than my current weight... god it's good to be fat!
And if I gain another 100 lbs I won't die any sooner according to it.. hehehe..

Anyone wanna help? ;-)
12 years

Oddity wrote:
Mine would have been a lot higher if I was not depressed. Not that it really matters. I don't want to make it to 88 anyway.

Aw, hang in there! You can get past it.
12 years

bbwbeth wrote:
Found another calculator which does seem to take this into account more;

www.riskprediction.org.uk/index_lifeexp.php

This one did show that moving from BMI 40+ to 30 buys me 4.5years.

A life I enjoy, or 4.5 more years of old age?? ....

(It also showed that being a 'normal' weight would buy me 9 more years ... but I figure it would take at least that long to lose the weight - IF i wanted to - so I essentially lose those years to dieting misery anyway!! lol)
Couldn't agree more...enjoy lifesmiley
12 years