Food and recipes

Killer fillo dessert

OK, I don't really have quantities for this, cuz I do it by feel. but you can't go wrong, really, except skimping on the butter.

1 lb kataifi/khadaif aka shredded fillo (if you can't get this, see below)
1 lb sweet butter
8 oz ricotta cheese
8 oz fresh mozzarella
icing sugar
rose water or orange blossom water, if desired

Melt the butter. Butter a 9x13 baking pan. Toss the fillo with the rest of the butter...make sure it's well coated. (If you need to add more butter, do, but it doesn't need to be wet...just coated.) Spread half the dough in the bottom of the pan and bake at 375 F for ten minutes.

Shred the mozzarella, or cut it into small cubes. Make a 50/50 mixture of ricotta and mozzarella...it should be about the same in volume as the fillo. Add sugar to taste and flavour if desired. (It's traditional to pour syrup on afterward, but I think it makes it soggy, so I put a bit more sugar inside and skip the syrup. But it's up to you.)

Spread the cheese mixture over the baked dough, and cover with remaining dough. Bake at 375 F until the top is browned.

Cut and serve while still hot. It's a bit sloppy to serve, but worth the trouble.

IF you can't find Khataifi, here's how to do it with fillo:

Split the fillo in half. Lay the dough out sheet by sheet in the pan, buttering in between each layer. (Keep the parts you're not working with covered with a damp towel so they don't dry out and get crumbly.) When you've finished half the dough, cover it with the cheese, then repeat the layering process on top. Bake. (The intermediate baking process is not necessary, but you can do it if you like the extra crunch.)

Feel free to pm me if anything is unclear.
16 years

Syrup

Oh, yeah. If you want to do syrup, you can make a simple syrup, which is a 50/50 sugar/water solution melted together. According to your taste, you can:

a) replace all or some of the sugar with honey, and lessen the water some;

smiley add flavourings, such as lemon zest, rose water, or orange blossom water
16 years