Fat experiences

Rude comment made to fat girl.

To be honest I don't really get much crap anymore. When I was younger, it seemed never-ending, and I hated myself for it, but I think maybe that was just the age of people I was around - through school etc. Kids can be cruel...

Most I get is like.. I dunno... people shouting "fatty" out of a car occasionally... or on a night out sometimes I get guys hitting on me for a joke. But I don't take it personally. I know I'm beautiful and I love my body. Plus I get turned on when I'm called fat so jokes on them.

That's all what I'm aware of anyway. Who knows what's said behind my back, probably plenty!
9 years

SilverRider wrote:
To be honest I don't really get much crap anymore. When I was younger, it seemed never-ending, and I hated myself for it, but I think maybe that was just the age of people I was around - through school etc. Kids can be cruel...

Most I get is like.. I dunno... people shouting "fatty" out of a car occasionally... or on a night out sometimes I get guys hitting on me for a joke. But I don't take it personally. I know I'm beautiful and I love my body. Plus I get turned on when I'm called fat so jokes on them.

That's all what I'm aware of anyway. Who knows what's said behind my back, probably plenty!

I guess I am totally unaware of this type of behavior even when I was quite young being that myself would have never acted disrespectfully plus I liked heavier girls..... nor any guy's I hung out with because I would have made them shut up or hit them.

I really liked your though's and actions with a guy possibly hitting on you at a bar. It clearly shouldn't be a joke but I loved the way you thought of it.

This is kind of an eye opening thing for me....and an interesting topic although it makes me a bit sad the same.
9 years

SoShy wrote:
It's pretty much constant abuse. You have to put on the brave face and pretend you're not being followed around, shouted at, laughed at, pointed at... But that's takes more energy than I have most days.

Sorry to hear this.....you can't make someone be less cruel or understanding i guess until they fully mature and care about others.

And I guess some people are just so brainwashed into thinking fat is so bad and taboo....crazy thought's from these people!
9 years

SoShy wrote:
It's pretty much constant abuse. You have to put on the brave face and pretend you're not being followed around, shouted at, laughed at, pointed at... But that's takes more energy than I have most days.

Occasional rude comments are one thing, constant verbal abuse is another. But being followed around takes things way further, Can't see that having anything to do with "fat". Bloody awful whatever the reason.
9 years

Of course I can't speak for all Swedes, but I've never seen or heard of anything like this happening myself. Outside of school that is. I'm sure that it's happened but I feel like it's really not common.

What I have experienced several times though is that people here are not slow to make rude comments and gestures here when they think that the person can't hear or see them. Like Greywinter said, I sincerely hope that the fat-positive culture makes its way here soon.
9 years

LadyEjkua wrote:
If you were called names by people, what would you want passers by to do?

Tough one! Expressing disapproval to the name-caller is good and not too hard. If they're on the job, you might even be able to report them to their superior.

Better would be to do it in a way that would make the insulted person feel better. But it could easily backfire and make them feel worse.
9 years

surferbrg91 wrote:
Well it was my 1st time witnessing this but when I was walking through the city today and I witness some hobo make an inappropriate comment to a young girl who looked at lest 300lbs.

But after seeing that, I'm curious. How are some of you that are Fat or BBW treated in public these days?

I love your picture!smiley smiley
9 years

Check out Homeland (season 4 episode 1). While I don't endorse violence against fat-shamers it's strangely satisfying to see it done dramatically.
9 years