forum  stuffing

can eating too much cause your stomach to burst?2 years

A group of 4 of my friends and I were planning on taking part in a competitive eating contest next month. Being that I�m 5�0� tall, 285 lbs, with a huge belly, I think I could do quite well at a competitive eating contest especially since I�ve ate a many buffets over the past year to the point of being stuffed.

I am at least 50 -100 lbs heavier than each of my friends who will be attending this event with me and none of them are typically big eaters.

I had always heard that your stomach is like a balloon, the more you eat then the more it expands which makes you capable of eating more in the future. I am a bit concerned about my smaller friends attending this event.

I know it would be rare and I�ve never heard of any cases where it has happened but is it possible for someone to eat to the point that it would cause their stomach to burst?

There has been several times where I�ve ate so much at a buffet where I felt as though I was going
to burst afterward but felt ok within a few hours or by the next day and if I�ve drank a lot of carbonated beverages with my meal the fullness feeling is greatly intensified.

I was also wondering what is the quickest and best remedy from feeling stuffed after overeating at a buffet?

Below is a pic of me which illustrates how stuffed I can end up getting. This was after I had a large buffet lunch about 6 months ago.

http://fantasyfeeder.com/pics/photo?id=486111&userId=183433

Most adult stomachs hold about 1 gallon and have some stretch but do rupture. There was a scientist who literally sat corpses up and tested their stomach capacity to find out about it. There is a great writer, Mary Roach, who wrote a great book called, "Gulp". You should read the stomach chapter. It gets into stuffing, capacity, and ruptures. I think you will be fascinated. Also, google Joey Chestnut and speed eating strategies. You will find the best competitive eaters are usually not fat and use some specific techniques to expand capacity. Anyway, just a few things for you to check out. Be careful and good luck.

its happened

Myth busters did this one. It will take a lot to burst one.

I watched a documentary about adults with Prader Willi Syndrome, and some of them have "eaten themselves to death" by rupturing their stomach.

Your stomach wouldn't "burst" so much as tear open from being overfilled.

I'm very curious to know exactly how much food it would take to do that!

Plus if you slowly do it. You can stretch your stomach to fit more and more.

Bowery:
I imagine it would be a lot harder in live people than dead models. In humans it would be very hard because the more you eat, the more the stretch receptors in your stomach send reflex nerve impulses to your brain stimulating the release of gastric secretions and getting food moving from your stomach into the small bowel. And if you distend your stomach too much despite these reflexes, you'll then start to stimulating the vomiting reflex, so it won't stay down for long.

Any published cases in reputable journal of stomach "rupture" that I could find we almost exclusively related to people who had previous stomach ulcers that eroded and significantly weakened or completely broke through the wall of the stomach. So I'd say for a normal, healthy person, the risk would be basically none. smiley

Interesting enough most cases of rupture in addition to stomach wall weakness due to ulcers or cancer happen after the person ingests a lot of food so the person is completely stuffed. Then the person takes a large dose of something that expands very fast like baking soda. The vomiting reflex usually kicks in to prevent rupture, but if some large food object blocks the opening to the esophagus, it prevents the pressure release and can result in rupture.
In the book, "Gulp" by Mary Roach you can read a whole chapter on this. It is fascinating and most libraries have it or will order it for you.

feedeeleah:
I'm very curious to know exactly how much food it would take to do that!
You can eat as much as you can stuff in!
1 page 1 of 2   loading