New chat (beta)

right now the beat chat is down smiley(
8 years

New chat (beta)

I'm away from my laptop at the moment but I'll try to get this back up tomorrow
8 years

New chat (beta)

Dennep:
I don't really see the Beta chat as user friendly. It's also really quite unpleasant to look at. I like having the list of users on the right and the private chats having a whole different tab. Also you should definitely keep the permissions button, some people especially woman get swamped with unwanted chat invites other wise. Also the appearance looks very much like a bland customer service chat you would use when needing help with a problem vs a friendly fun loving site like the current chat.

It maybe blane, but it run a phone without the need for flashplayer. to me that a huge plus. there are something about it that kind of wheely about it, but give CUP a break. version 0, it not all that bad right out of the gate. I know the chat will get better, CUP just need more time to work on the next version. As a programmer, I know some things take more time then ever though they would.
8 years

New chat (beta)

Can you please identify what rooms with this chat. a bit confusing but not bad at all
8 years

New chat (beta)

Dorian Michaels:
The most recent move (getting rid of the old Flash chat permanently-- at least for the moment) seems geared to try to *force* people to use the new chat (since it seemed little to NO people used it, when they had the choice between the two).

Actually the old chat is still there - under 'video chat'. I put up a sticky in the General forum earlier to help guide people who were confused about it:
fantasyfeeder.com/forum/posts
8 years

New chat (beta)

No option to block anyone might be a bit concerning to people.

That should be a thing.

Also no lobby. Maybe you don't want to announce yourself to the world that you're online to everyone in the chat. Not everyone likes the spotlight, we lurk for reasons on occasion.

The online list should be in the chat room, not a different list.

The "Reply and Chat" options should not be next to one another.

When you look at another profile, it shouldn't have to be in another tab. As it is now clicking on anything else closes the chat.

I had one PC experience and clicked on their profile, it closed the PC and when I came back to chat I couldn't reopen the chat.

Is it ten PC's a day or ten, but only one per person a day?

This might be a personal choice thing but the bubble chat seems to be unsettling to me. I don't know why I don't like it but I've never seen Bubble Chat be used in any other kind of chat I've been in before. It feels more like Texting on a phone and impersonal.

It doesn't feel comfortable to be in this kind of chat anymore. I can't quite explain it.

Old chat felt like going into a bar or a club. You could pick a room and even though most of the time it was always one room or another being most active, the option of choice was nice.

And if FF was a few years ago and as active as it used to be. Could you imagine a chat room like this. Thousands of people hitting chat and being put into a room like this all at the same time?

It'd be insane, or crash the site! lol

Anyway, that's just what I think and have noticed so far.
8 years

New chat (beta)

Dorian Michaels:
The most recent move (getting rid of the old Flash chat permanently-- at least for the moment) seems geared to try to *force* people to use the new chat (since it seemed little to NO people used it, when they had the choice between the two).

*Force* is a harsh word. What we're trying to do is experiment with new things to try and improve the website for everyone. The Flash (video) chat is very good and has served the site well, the problem is that it's old technology that can't be used on most mobile devices and I've noticed a slow but steady decline in it's use over the years. The new text chat uses different technology and although it's still in beta mode and can be improved, it can at least be used on mobile phones, giving many more users access to a chat app on this site.

The video chat was never removed, but I see where the confusion crept in and have changed the order of the links so that it's now the first one you come to.
8 years

New chat (beta)

BBWcreator82:
No option to block anyone might be a bit concerning to people.

That should be a thing.

Also no lobby. Maybe you don't want to announce yourself to the world that you're online to everyone in the chat. Not everyone likes the spotlight, we lurk for reasons on occasion.

The online list should be in the chat room, not a different list.

The "Reply and Chat" options should not be next to one another.

When you look at another profile, it shouldn't have to be in another tab. As it is now clicking on anything else closes the chat.

I had one PC experience and clicked on their profile, it closed the PC and when I came back to chat I couldn't reopen the chat.

Is it ten PC's a day or ten, but only one per person a day?

This might be a personal choice thing but the bubble chat seems to be unsettling to me. I don't know why I don't like it but I've never seen Bubble Chat be used in any other kind of chat I've been in before. It feels more like Texting on a phone and impersonal.

It doesn't feel comfortable to be in this kind of chat anymore. I can't quite explain it.

Old chat felt like going into a bar or a club. You could pick a room and even though most of the time it was always one room or another being most active, the option of choice was nice.

And if FF was a few years ago and as active as it used to be. Could you imagine a chat room like this. Thousands of people hitting chat and being put into a room like this all at the same time?

It'd be insane, or crash the site! lol

Anyway, that's just what I think and have noticed so far.

Brilliant feedback! Thanks a lot for this. If anyone else agrees or disagrees with any of this or has any other comments of their own, please post below.
8 years

New chat (beta)

For more info on the Flash thing, a fellow actually chastised us a while back about Flash still being used on here due to it's security issues, and also linked us to this:

wired.com/2015/07/adobe-flash-player-die/

ADOBE FLASH—THAT INSECURE, ubiquitous resource hog everyone hates to need—is under siege, again, and hopefully for the last time. The latest calls for its retirement come from some of the Internet’s most powerful players, but if the combined clattering of Facebook, Firefox, and a legion of unsatisfied users isn’t enough finally to put it in the ground, scroll down to see how to axe it from your devices yourself.

Why would you want to?

Because Flash is a closed, proprietary system on a web that deserves open standards. It’s a popular punching bag for hackers, which puts users at risk over and over again. And it’s a resource-heavy battery suck that at this point mostly finds its purchase in pop-up ads you didn’t want to see anyway.

This week, in the wake of newly discovered vulnerabilities in Flash, Facebook security boss Alex Stamos called for a termination date for Flash, and late Monday night Mozilla disabled all current versions of the plug-in by default in its Firefox browser. Even Google is limiting Flash’s impact; last month, it announced that future versions of Chrome will “intelligently pause” Flash-based content that isn’t part of a website’s core experience (e.g. video ads).

That doesn’t mean this is the end … yet. Facebook still uses Flash to play video on some browsers, and Firefox reintroduced Flash support on Tuesday when a secure update arrived. The point is clear, though: Flash is officially more trouble than it’s worth. And it has been for some time.

There’s always been a moderate anti-Flash undercurrent rumbling through the web; there’s even an “Occupy Flash” movement whose stated goal is strongly (but blandly) stated as “To get the world to uninstall the Flash Player plugin from their desktop browsers.” In fact, killing of Flash has been on-trend since being software non-grata on the original iPhone. Steve Jobs penned a famous open letter in April, 2010, explaining why he wouldn’t let Flash anywhere near Apple’s mobile products, highlighting concerns over openness, security, and its impact on battery life.

More than five years later, the case against Flash remains largely unchanged—and the security problem is the most immediate and important. After all, the newly discovered critical vulnerability that led Mozilla to quarantine Firefox from Flash was the third problem of its kind discovered this week thanks to a data breach of controversial digital surveillance firm Hacking Team.

When we reached out to Adobe to ask about those security holes and the mounting calls for Flash to disappear altogether, a representative directed us to a statement that says the company fixed the issues and has pushed an update. It also had this to say about its security issues generally:

“Flash Player is one of the most ubiquitous and widely distributed pieces of software in the world, and as such, is a target of malicious hackers. We are actively working to improve Flash Player security, and as we did in this case, will work to quickly address issues when they are discovered.”

However actively Adobe has been working on Flash Player security, it doesn't seem to be enough. This week’s mistrials are but the latest in a string of security lapses that have plagued Flash for years. Exploit kits—packets of code that take advantage of these sorts of vulnerabilities in your browser to push malware or ransomware—have used Flash to futz with countless sites. So-called zero-day vulnerabilities (a security hole that hackers find before the software company does) are found on Flash with such regularity they almost feel like a feature.

“The Flash Player is a very interesting target for attackers because it really is ubiquitous and runs in all major browsers,” says Jérôme Segura, senior security researcher at Malwarebytes. “On top of zero-days, many end users are still running older versions which explains why the number one piece of software exploit kit writers go after is Flash.”

That last point is critical; Adobe releasing a secure new version of Flash doesn't guarantee its users will download it.

As quickly as Adobe can beat back trouble, more pops up. It’s a never-ending game of Whac-a-Mole, with the fun twist that you always end up losing.

Segura’s torn on whether Flash should die altogether. “At the moment it is the most responsible thing to do,” he says, “But I also think it may be short sighted. After all, malicious actors can easily move on to a new target.”

The good news is, you don’t have to wait for Adobe to pull the plug. You can do it yourself.
8 years

New chat (beta)

To follow from my last post, over the years we've also had many people using iPhones/etc to access FF who have lamented their inability to access chat as Apple products do not support Flash. With this new beta chat created in the superior format HTML5, those users aren't locked out of using chat anymore. smiley Indeed, technology is marching on and more and more people are using cellphones/etc to browse the internet, so making the site more mobile friendly is a must. Gradually replacing Flash with HTML5 is part of that, across the web.

We're hoping this new/beta chat to eventually reach a form that everyone will be satisfied with, so feedback here on what you like and dislike about the new/beta chat is very important. Also it was briefly covered in the article, but for an example YouTube has more or less given Flash the boot and replaced it's video player with HTML5. You may have noticed the ability to change playback speeds on YouTube videos now - that's what the HTML5 player does now. You may have also noticed less of the ever present 'The Adobe Flash plugin has crashed (send crash report)' messages around the web too:

8 years
12345   loading