Food and recipes

Homemade mac and cheese

Start with a Half Big Block of Sharp White Cheddar cut into thin slices. Or for easier effort use shredded sharp white cheddar. First take a saucepan and create a mixture of melted butter and add flour and milk until it gets thick and add whole milk and some additional flour and water mixed in a cup.Once this is nice and thick and hot start adding the white cheddar and milk alternately with nearly constant stirring. Also alternately add chunks of the cream cheese until you have added over a Quart of milk and all the cheeses into a nice thick bubbly sauce that you could actually eat by itself.
Prior to that.
You would have already cooked the macaroni according to package directions. I prefer 8 minutes for tender macaroni.
You would then pour into a colander and sprayed with Cold water. Take a large casserole or what I use is a aluminum pan (disposable ) called a Giant Lasagna pan. It's 3 inches deep. Spray with non stick spray in the pan. Add a layer of macaroni until the bottom is covered. Then a layer of shredded cheese. I used Kraft Triple Cheddar with cream cheese. And Kraft Colby Monterrey Jack and Cheddar with cream cheese. But any favorite shredded cheese is fine. Continue until you have used your macaroni and have macaroni across the top and hopefully 3/4 of an inch to spare at the top. Let it sit while you make the sauce. .
Pour the sauce evenly throughout the entire pan. Add a final layer shredded cheese. I usually use a different cheese for the top. Yesterday I experimented using Asiago on part of the top. It is sharper and it was Good. The rest I used Colby Cheddar and that was Equally Good
Bake covered in aluminum foil at 375 for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for 20-30 more until it is bubbly and the top layer is looking a little brown.
Let sit for ten minutes before serving.

Other options that have worked well.
A quarter to third of a medium onion chopped added to the middle layer of macaroni Or into the sauce. It gives the cheddar a certain "tang " that I Love. But it's not for everyone so I leave it out or like yesterday sprinkled in a few pieces on one side for me. Yummy.

Also you can whip up one or two eggs into a batter as if you were making an omelette. Add some milk if desired. Pour this over the macaroni in the interior layers. Makes it Fluffy. Caution too much and you'll have little egg whites in the macaroni. Lol.

So in a nutshell. Onions and eggs optional. Shredded cheeses are Your choice.
Butter Flour Sharp White Cheddar and Cream Cheese and Milk make the Best Sauce in my now 25 years making it.
ENJOY.
8 years