Food and recipes

Sausage "sketti" recipe

So, I LOVE to cook. The kitchen is one of my favorite rooms in the house, and not much makes me happier than the pleasurable moans of happy eaters.

So, this is one of my most popular staples when I cook for others, and it's so simple you can make everything in the same pot!

Ingredients

1 tube Jimmy Dean Maple Sausage
1 Box of preferred spaghetti noodles (I do not recommend Angel Hair)
1 jar of your favorite sauce, although I personally recommend mushroom flavor
Shredded Cheddar cheese
(optional) Sliced mushrooms

I ONLY use Jimmy Dean sausage because every single other brand I've tried has either had too much grease when I cook it (which completely throws off the flavor and consistancy of the sauce if you don't drain it) or tastes inferior. Use another brand at your own risk.

First, cook your noodles as normal, drain and set aside.
Put your sausage in the now empty pot and begin to fry over a low-medium heat.
If you wish to use mushrooms, toss these in when your meat is approximately half cooked and stir frequently. You are essentially sauteing them in the small amount of grease from the meat.
When the sausage and mushrooms are both completely cooked and ONLY when the meat is fully cooked (you do not want undercooked pork) pour in your jar of sauce and reduce heat to low.
Add in about a handful or two of the cheese, but not too much. You don't want a cheese sauce, you want a subtle flavoring.
Cover and stir infrequently. Let it set for 10-20 minutes.
Add in your noodles and mix until all the noodles are covered in sauce.
You may wish to add a TINY bit more cheese but I usually don't.
Serve while hot.

Now, you may think I'm crazy to suggest maple flavored sausage and cheddar cheese, but the sweetness of the meat and the sharpness of the cheese are quite harmonious with the tang of the sauce.
I discovered this when I accidentally bought maple instead of sage sausage one night.

My personal favorite sauce is the offbrand found at Sav-A-Lot. But this seems to be a local thing. I have not been able to find this same sauce at Aldi or any other store, so we've had to make do. It's still delicious.

I hope you enjoy!
7 years

Sausage "sketti" recipe

LOL Thank you. It's absolutely delicious! But I might be biased LOL

It's especially good served with a loaf of garlic bread.
7 years

Sausage "sketti" recipe

I've done a similar spaghetti before, but I used local Cajun sausage instead of breakfast sausage. I sliced it in thin pieces, fried it down, then added my sauce and simmered for a while. Very tasty!!
7 years

Sausage "sketti" recipe

That sounds tasty too. I may try that some time.
7 years

Sausage "sketti" recipe

Another variation I just tried out. Instead of sausage or ground beef, I used a chuck roast. I cut it into small pieces, browned it very well in vegetable oil, then simmered it in the pasta sauce until it was fork tender.

It was very good, although next time I'll use 2 lbs of meat for 1 package of pasta and 1 jar of sauce.
7 years