Fat experiences

First pubic fat shaming :(

I'm sorry to hear that you had to receive that kind of treatment from someone so close to you. It must have hurt--I hurt for you, just reading the story.

I haven't experienced anything like that (yet). But one event sticks out. I was at a barbecue, full of people who haven't seen me since I put on weight. No one said anything, but one friend walked over and just patted my belly. It was an invasion of personal space that I didn't welcome.

It's a little thing, but it really bothered me at the time. One thing to have a consentual, "I like to be teased/touched a particular way" moment with someone we trust. Another thing entirely to have it forced on us.
7 years

I was teased a lot as a kid, but the moments that stand out in my mind are 1) a check-up when I was ten where the doctor pinched my belly and told me I was "quite large" and needed to get more exercise and eat more salads, 2) getting weighed every year by the school nurse in front of the other students and being made to stay after for a lecture, 3) a time I complained about my jeans being very tight and my grandmother snapped that if I got any fatter she wouldn't be able to find clothes big enough to fit my belly. I wasn't actually that big back then, maybe 20-30 lbs overweight? But people were cruel about it. I think I'd react much differently now, but it was hurtful then.
7 years

Once at a family gathering an uncle I hadn't seen in ages saw me and yelled so everyone could hear "Bloody hell when did you get so fat?!" Needless to say I wanted to crawl into a cave and never return.
7 years

Sorry to hear that!
I can imagine that people would be more appalled by what your aunt did than the fact that you where a little bigger though. I know I would be.
7 years

In first grade I had this girl walk by me and yell "Ewwwww you're so fat" but like, she was as fat as I was if not fatter, and I hadnt even seen her before? It hurt me a lot back then and honestly it still kind of hurts thinking about it, I'm not a fan of public humiliation....
7 years

I have had this happen quite often where some of my guy friends will pat my big belly and say "Man your looking healthy" or "You are packing on a few". I just respond that "Yes I am. As you know I love to eat". I have to admit this turns me on a bit and can be a little hurtful at the same time. It is amazing to me that in a country where 75% of the population is overweight or obese and growing heavier all the time, people still need to comment on someones weight. Really?
7 years

I also don't remember my first shaming but there are others that stand out. I have been made a cautionary example in public on more than one occasion. I remember being in a grocery store and a mother whispering to her small children (knowingly loud enough for me to hear) "If you keep eating sweets your going to get a belly like that man." O yeah! Have had my share of public shaming.
7 years

blimpingup:
I'm sorry to hear that you had to receive that kind of treatment from someone so close to you. It must have hurt--I hurt for you, just reading the story.

I haven't experienced anything like that (yet). But one event sticks out. I was at a barbecue, full of people who haven't seen me since I put on weight. No one said anything, but one friend walked over and just patted my belly. It was an invasion of personal space that I didn't welcome.

It's a little thing, but it really bothered me at the time. One thing to have a consentual, "I like to be teased/touched a particular way" moment with someone we trust. Another thing entirely to have it forced on us.

I had the same thing happen, only it was a co-worker (male) who poked my belly and said i needed to lose the gut. At that time, some 30 years ago i was experimenting with gaining and was about 70 pounds over weight. I have to admit it felt like a badge of honor, because i was always the skinny guy in school and hated it, so it felt kind of cool to finally be told i was fat. I had gained the weight during a long since over relationship. One night she told me her best friend had puffed out her cheeks and cupped her arms in front of her when i wasn't looking to indicate how fat i'd gotten. That actually turned me on big time.
7 years

On further reading i see i probably shouldn't have posted a response since i wasn't technically fat shamed. I apologize and only posted because i had the same thing happen and felt compelled to share. I wasn't trying to suggest the original poster was wrong to be angry, only that my reaction to a similar situation was different.
7 years

BigFA:
I have had this happen quite often where some of my guy friends will pat my big belly and say "Man your looking healthy" or "You are packing on a few". I just respond that "Yes I am. As you know I love to eat". I have to admit this turns me on a bit and can be a little hurtful at the same time. It is amazing to me that in a country where 75% of the population is overweight or obese and growing heavier all the time, people still need to comment on someones weight. Really?

7 years
12   loading