Lifestyle tips

Question for the ex-jocks

I went from a very fit 175, to 190, to 210 to now 250 journey as an ex-jock into a fat guy. I think each stage had its own features of how my personal metabolism reacted, which is in part reinforced by how you feel mentally about the choices you make.

I think .7 pounds is a pretty solid rate - if you want a faster rate I would say you should cut out aerobic exercise and continue to lift weights. Weight lifting keeps my appetite up and keeps the muscle weight on. Once I stopped running, and I also started drinking weight gain shakes regularly, the weight piled on. If you can consistently keep your body on 6,000 calories or more for a few weeks, it'll definitely make that small gut swell smiley

I also stopped eating at regular intervals, and starting eating mostly to gorge which changed my metabolism.

Keep us posted on how things change over time!
7 years

aho:
So my partner has started gaining. In December he was 6 pack abs, muscular guy at about 190 pounds, 6 feet...hit the gym daily. Now, 7 months later, he is 212, no abs, and the beginnings of a small gut. He is snacking constantly and probably consuming like 4000 calories on a good day, but his average gain is like .7 pounds a week.

So I guess my question is-did you start to gain faster after losing some muscle, and how did your metabolism change over time?
Does this seem like an average rate of gain? Did your gain speed up, or slow down, as you got fatter?

If he gained 22 pounds in 7 months, then that's a little more than 3 pounds a month which is a great gain rate. Extrapolate it out, and you will see that with each year ahead, he gains 36 pounds. Another 7 months from now, he'll be 234 or so.

And yes, it comes in fits and starts. But overall, something like a pound a week is very good!
7 years

aho:
I buy him lots of snacks to have at his desk etc all of the time...I'm also open to snack/food ideas for gaining smiley
"Ruby Ann's Top Dog Brownies" from "Ruby Ann's Down Home Trailer Park Cookbook" by Ruby Ann Boxcar ( Citadel Press, New York, 2002) are great for gaining.
7 years

aho:
I buy him lots of snacks to have at his desk etc all of the time...I'm also open to snack/food ideas for gaining smiley
"Ruby Ann's Top Dog Brownies" from "Ruby Ann's Down Home Trailer Park Cookbook" by Ruby Ann Boxcar ( Citadel Press, New York, 2002) are great for gaining.
7 years

aho:
7 years

aho:
7 years

aho:
7 years