General

Extremely low budget gaining - thoughts?

T
lipidlover:
Hello all, long time lurker first time poster because I wanted to get some of your thoughts on the following:

I've been trying to gain weight for almost a year, but alas I've run into trouble trying to get a good gaining diet down.

Weight gain is essentially just the result of a caloric surplus. However actually consuming those calories is super hard for me for the following reasons:

1. I don't like eating big meals (yet)
2. Student budget - EXTREMELY tiny budget. Like seriously, it buys rice and beans every month and that's it. This will improve in time but I don't want to wait.
3. Based in Canada. Prices are higher, and many gaining avenues simply don't exist. No heavy cream, no cheap whole milk.

So I've been puzzling out a solution and I think I've found one. However I'd like some input from some of the more experienced members I've seen on this site from time to time.

By chance, I found an extremely good deal on extra virgin olive oil in bulk. Crazy right? You'd think that would be the expensive thing, especially here in Canada! But nope, very affordable.

In addition to being the most calorie dense per dollar, extra virgin olive oil is a monounsaturated fat that promotes subcutaneous fat formation and it contains the lowest level of oleic acid of other oils (too much can lead to gout and joint problems, so don't chug vegetable oils for pete's sake!). These are all good things.

There is one catch however. The human body can only digest a certain amount of calories in the form of lipids (fat) per unit of time. I learned this the hard way when I first tried out my new supplement and had terrible diarrhoea the next day.

Ideally I'd like to be able to mix up specific amounts of olive oil and drink them every couple hours.

Can anybody help? About how much fat can the human stomach digest per hour/2 hours/x unit of time? Can this be modified with specific stomach contents (i.e food that absorbs the oil and decreases the absorption rate of the digestive system, thus increasing the amount you can put in your belly each day).

Would love to know your thoughts on this.

Tl;Dr - How much olive oil can I drink per x unit of time without my body flushing it straight through my digestive tract? Tried anything similar yourself? Thoughts?
this sounds like a really bad idea! If you have an oven, try making cakes from cake mixes. They're dirt cheap--the store brands are 99 cents USD. You'll blow up quickly.
7 years