Extreme obesity

How many times have you been told to lose weight?

fatsteve:
I cannot remember a doctor's appointment since I started putting on a serious amount of weight when the advice was not given. "You really must start losing weight". "You must go on a diet". The only good thing about a diet is that it seems to acelerate weight gain! You lose a little and then gain a lot.

At least my family have stopped giving me this gratuitous advice all the time. Even then evey few months my mum takes me aside to give me a talking to about my increasing weight.

It is one of the reasons I prefer the company of obese people. They are much less judgemental.
So true--diets make your body think that you are starving by circumstance, not choice.
7 years

fatsteve:
I cannot remember a doctor's appointment since I started putting on a serious amount of weight when the advice was not given. "You really must start losing weight". "You must go on a diet". The only good thing about a diet is that it seems to acelerate weight gain! You lose a little and then gain a lot.

At least my family have stopped giving me this gratuitous advice all the time. Even then evey few months my mum takes me aside to give me a talking to about my increasing weight.

It is one of the reasons I prefer the company of obese people. They are much less judgemental.
So true--diets make your body think that you are starving by circumstance, not choice.
7 years

Have never been told by a doctor that I need to lose weight. That doesn't happen in Iowa unless you're, like, 800 lbs. My doctor probably wouldn't say anything even if I was eating a ham during the appointment.
7 years

Nachtigall:
i was overweight since elementary school, so from public weighting and getting a public: you know you need to lose weight right?!!! to the last doctor an orthopedist was it a loooong way. But that last story is quite entertaining. You know the typical thing, im not fate im big boned? Its bullshit ofc, but there are things, that makes it more necessary to lose weight or not.
I went toi the orthopedist for my back. I move alot in my sleep and while i rotated like crazy i overstretched one of my tendons (didnt know that at that moment, thats why i went to the doctor ^_~) He saw me and the first thing he said was: "You know, you really should lose weight, it is bad for your bones and im sure your knees etc are already very damaged". I felt bad ofc and even a little afraid. He x-rayed my body and tadaaaa.. he was quite annoyed. He said: "Ohh your bones are perfect, very strong build once. Its not a problem with your back blablablba" so it turned out his omg your overweight is destroying you!!! to yeah... whatever its not affecting you so far

Typical western doctor. "I'm going to blame the first reasonable cause I can guess at and throw some pills at you. If it doesn't work I'll guess again."
7 years

fatsteve:

I get told several times a day by my family to lose weight.
7 years

Nachtigall:
jup! when i was young i thought i should use speed for losing weight... but yeah as a 14year old its hard to get your hands on that XD

Glad you didn't, you grew up looking good IMHO.
7 years

Obese is a nasty invented label word aimed at making us feel like outcasts... they've failed!

Why weight becomes an issue with doctors is because they use your weight as an excuse not to bother trying to diagnose other complaints... hence, weight is always the cause with my GP... so weight give you the flu in mid winter... yeah right :-)

Doctors!

I've had the suggestion to lose weight so many times... just ignored them... feel fine... in fact never felt better since I put another 3 inches on!
6 years

Every time I go home or go to the doctor.
6 years

Dreading visiting relatives at Christmas for just this reason... I know a few of my relatives just won't let it be. They'll be bugging my wife, telling her, "You need to take HIM to the gym with you!" blah blah blah

I guess you can't pick your relatives!
6 years

kevingainer:
Every time I go home or go to the doctor.

Last 3 doctor visits, yup.
6 years
123   loading