Gaining

Doctor wants me to lose; i don't

Again yesterday my pain management doctor, treating me for pain from my lumbar fusion, pointed to my belly and said "that's not helping". He said that unless I do my part, meaning diet and exercise, he's not sure what more he can do to help, after this next procedure (RFA, zapping the nerves to lessen the pain signals). I guess I got my marching orders... literally... he wants me to start walking again and get back to weight training. I'm all for getting back into shape but little does he know that not only do I not want to lose weight, I want to get fatter.
6 years

I know... I hate making decisions. Especially when I've finally gotten to like myself being fat. smiley

But this is a serious one. I keep thinking that if I just get back to strengthening my core that will be enough. But there's no hiding a 50" belly.
6 years

It may very well come to droppng some weight... enough for it to make a difference in how I feel, and for him to notice and approve. I'll always be chunky but I may not be able to carry as much weight as I think is attractive. A compromise.
6 years

There are no conditions that only large people have, and there is no guarantee that losing weight will cure anything. Doctors just tend to tell everyone to lose weight. I would be more concerned about specific dietary restrictions, such as cutting back on sugar, salt or fats.
6 years

johnxyz:
There are no conditions that only large people have, and there is no guarantee that losing weight will cure anything. Doctors just tend to tell everyone to lose weight. I would be more concerned about specific dietary restrictions, such as cutting back on sugar, salt or fats.

I had the same thought: I lose weight - which is not easy for me and why I gave in to being fat - and there's no change in my pain.

I did ask my orthopedic surgeon if he thought my belly was a problem, he said no. So who knows.
6 years

I believe I read that the chance of someone who has been overweight for a while to lose weight and keep it off is about 1 in 177. Most people who lose weight tend to regain more than they lost. So, the best thing (assuming they are not a feedee and want to gain) is to try to eat normally (which includes some snacks, etc..) The best thing for a doctor to do is to treat the problem, and not encourage someone to do something that will probably make them even bigger.
6 years

johnxyz:
I believe I read that the chance of someone who has been overweight for a while to lose weight and keep it off is about 1 in 177. Most people who lose weight tend to regain more than they lost. So, the best thing (assuming they are not a feedee and want to gain) is to try to eat normally (which includes some snacks, etc..) The best thing for a doctor to do is to treat the problem, and not encourage someone to do something that will probably make them even bigger.

That number is pretty interesting. Before I did WW I was 230. At the start of WW I already lost 10 lbs. In about 5 mos. of WW I lost another 30+ lbs, down to about 188. I was also doing high intensity stuff like TRX, Bootcamp and Bodypump. I looked like death itself because I lost so much muscle. Now I'm sitting at 220. I've seen this with my losses and gains a few times.

I think my plan will be to get back in shape, gain muscle and stamina back, strengthen my core and see how I feel. Maybe it will help the pain, I hope it does. I like eating and I like being fat, more than I ever thought I would. I don't have to become immobile, but I like my size.
6 years