Lifestyle tips

How long do you save clothes that don't fit?

Whether you donate them to a thrift store, to a friend, or throw them out, how long after they stop fitting do you keep your clothes deemed too small? It's certainly worth keeping them for a while, but for how long?
6 years

Marina:
Much longer than I should! I always think, "oh, I'll get around to losing 30 lbs and that will fit again" but I never do. In fact, just yesterday tried on a skirt that I haven't worn in four years... was bursting out of it seven ways to Sunday! I took pics but not brave enough yet to post them because I look huge and I'm still wrapping my brain around that being an okay/good thing 😇

I know I'm one of many who look forward to seeing those pics.

And I definitely need to clean out my own closet. I've got clothes I'll never fit in again even if I stopped trying to gain. (Just being realistic). smiley
6 years

In the past, some were kept longer because my parents believed 'I might lose the weight' (oh dear).

For now at least it's when I need the space/have the time.
6 years

I've had partners in the past that asked me to put on the clothes that don't fit me anymore.

I still keep some that I can put on (barely), but the stuff that doesn't - donate.
6 years

I think in the non-feedee world, people keep their small clothes forever because they are "going to lose weight," but when they lose weight they throw their large clothes away immediately.
6 years

Marina:
Much longer than I should! I always think, "oh, I'll get around to losing 30 lbs and that will fit again" but I never do. In fact, just yesterday tried on a skirt that I haven't worn in four years... was bursting out of it seven ways to Sunday! I took pics but not brave enough yet to post them because I look huge and I'm still wrapping my brain around that being an okay/good thing 😇

Its an amazing thing. Clothes look best right at the point of bursting! We cant wait to see the results of 4 years.
6 years

If they are a size or so different I hold on to them. For example, I have size 17 shirts that are a bit snug in the belly. I'm to the point I have to keep the top 2 or 3 buttons open. So, it's time to segregate them from the bigger sizes. I'm not ready to part with them just yet.

I can hold on to pants a little longer. Technically I could use 44s but I like how the snugness of 42s pushes my belly up and over my belt.

So, it's on an item by item basis when to get rid of things. If I'm looking at 2 or more sizes and I keep going up in weight, I'll weed them out.
6 years

Sometimes I save stuff for sentimental reasons, and sometimes it feels great to donate to the DAV or Goodwill. Some ppl can't afford to buy a wedding dress at David's, a prom dress at the mall, or even a T-shirt at Walmart. I am going to donate my cool af size large Fender shirt--which I originally bought at Goodwill--and get a new one in size XL.
6 years