General

Will fat become fasionable?

in the near future could fat become fashionable? might it become desirable for the general population?
6 years

Being fat went in and out of fashion multiple times during human history.

As social acceptance for previously taboo things seems to become more common, I would guess being fat can become more accepted, even fashionable, even if not generally, but at least for a larger and more visible part of society. As society is becoming less monolithic, there will probably not be one single beauty standard for everyone, and being fat might be among one of the most widespread beauty standards.

However, I suspect this is only for those who still fit inside the BMI chart. Being barely able to walk, belly-to-the knees size would almost certainly never become a fashion in real life, and will remain a niché.
6 years

curiousv:
Being fat went in and out of fashion multiple times during human history.

projectpolemics:
Oh yeah!
The big reason I realized I was attracted to fat people was that I was a dork who loved reading the encyclopedias as a little kid. I got to the section on Renaissance art, full of nude women with big bellies...
and [sorry if this is TMI]
I had my first orgasm!

Artists half a millennium ago really knew their stuff!

But I agree, truly giant wobbling blobs of people will probably never become the dominant fashion.
That's all right by me.
Because people who are titanically obese and happy with it need lots of smaller people, from waifish to just less chubby, to show off the contrast of how gigantic they are!

As we know people have gotten progressively bigger (height and weight wise). I'm kind of curios how big the fat people of the middle ages actually were.
6 years

Not as long as the diet industry makes billions of dollars off of fat people hating themselves.
6 years

In space and on the moon the human body, may well just get fat in the future as the human population's metabolism will still be that of Earther's and will store unused energy as fat... so weightless fat people would become a norm but also limit them to low gravity planets or space alone! LOL
6 years