General

Fake profile

Fatlife97 sent me this message to me.

Hello dear, I would like to explore the world with you and possible be in a serious relationship if all works out well on a first date. Am here to meet up with a mature and responsible man whom is capable of love and care and i also have this urgent business transaction that is valued at $450millions united state dollars whom i also seek someone who is trustworthy to transact with. Trust is rare this days but from experience, your love ones ain't capable of breaking you except you gave them the access to which was why i seek out to transact with someone whom we will both love each other and be able to stand by each other. i hope to read back from you soon or drop me a note here at faithcarrington101@gmail.com and i will be delighted to write you back.
6 years

Fake profile

Dragonfly:
Lol, it's so strange to me that they think anyone will fall for this stuff. It's such a bizarrely and poorly written message. Thanks for the heads up! Hopefully they'll get taken care of soon.

It's written like that so that the scammers don't have to waste time with not-completely-brain-dead people
6 years

Fake profile

I´ve actually had similar mails as well. I responded to them and made a ton of money! Send me a message with your bank account details and I'll tell you how I did it
6 years

Fake profile

Dragonfly:
Lol, it's so strange to me that they think anyone will fall for this stuff. It's such a bizarrely and poorly written message. Thanks for the heads up! Hopefully they'll get taken care of soon.

That's the main point. The poor grammar and unconvincing story are all deliberate. Scientists actually examined this phenomena: microsoft.com/en-us/research/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/WhyFromNigeria.pdf

Basically, the scammers want only the most gullible to reply them. Sending out millions of such messages in bulk is very cheap. However, once someone answers them, they have to keep in contact with the victim individually, which is time-consuming and therefore expensive. If the victim then later realizes the trick (before sending money or banking information, password, etc.), the scammers wasted their time.

Therefore it's not optimal for the scammers to make the initial story very believable, because they want answers only from the most gullible and unintelligent, those who are more likely to go all the way through the whole scam.
6 years

Fake profile

curiousv:
That's the main point. The poor grammar and unconvincing story are all deliberate.

It's like a white van with 'free candy inside' painted on the side
6 years

Fake profile

Dragonfly:

curiousv:
That's the main point. The poor grammar and unconvincing story are all deliberate. Scientists actually examined this phenomena: microsoft.com/en-us/research/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/WhyFromNigeria.pdf

Basically, the scammers want only the most gullible to reply them. Sending out millions of such messages in bulk is very cheap. However, once someone answers them, they have to keep in contact with the victim individually, which is time-consuming and therefore expensive. If the victim then later realizes the trick (before sending money or banking information, password, etc.), the scammers wasted their time.

Therefore it's not optimal for the scammers to make the initial story very believable, because they want answers only from the most gullible and unintelligent, those who are more likely to go all the way through the whole scam.

So basically they've got it down to a science and know how to filter the replies so they only get only good quality responses (from their point of view). Thank you for sharing. I'm happy to report that I exceed their threshold and have never taken the bait. I is smart! smiley
6 years

Fake profile

I've done that with telemarketing scams and some fake dating texts that I've gotten from who knows where, but then I realized that I'm also giving them more of my time, so I generally don't anymore - but it was kind of fun to turn the tables on them.
6 years

Fake profile

Just going to leave this here about this kind of thing. xD
6 years

Fake profile

hungrypiggygirl:

Just going to leave this here about this kind of thing. xD

LOLOLOL!
6 years

Fake profile

Bigshyguy:
Hi

I work in IT and you would not believe the volume of sensible people that fall for it, it tickles me that in this day and age that people still buy into it smiley

Never underestimate the power of hope... "hope and change" or hope for change... LOL but yeah, it is amazing what normal, sensible people will believe. Look at all those that drilled holes in their iPhones thinking they could make an audio jack. It's easy to say "how stupid can you be" but I bet a good many of them aren't stupid, they just believed a very convincing YouTube video in an age when there are LOTS of helpful YouTube videos and hacks. But still.... Really?!?
6 years
12   loading