forum  fat experiences

scared of actually getting fat.6 days

Have you determined what you're most afraid of when it comes to gaining? (i.e., others reactions, not being able to lose the weight if you change your mind, potential health issues, etc.)

I think it's helpful to realize that we've been conditioned since birth to believe that fat is unhealthy and unattractive. Our culture enforces this belief on a daily basis. Internalized fat phobia takes place as young as five years old (children said they would rather die of cancer or lose a limb than be fat). This is obviously something they are taught. We aren't born with the fear of fat.

Considering how much overt aggression & discrimination there is in this culture towards fat people, it's totally normal to be afraid of getting fat even as a fat admirer/gainer. Since fat phobia is so prevalent, anyone gaining weight is going to need to develop a support system. I'd recommend getting involved with fat activism, spending time with body positive/fat accepting individuals and limiting exposure to fat phobic people and media that promotes diet culture.

I have definitely been scared of getting fat. Initially, it was purely about what others would think... mostly a few close relatives and friends (I actually like reactions from random people and some friends). Then I let go a bit (ok a lot, 80 lbs haha), and the fear subsided a little, but it still prevents me from getting fatter than 250 lbs. I really want to see what another 50 lbs would feel like but I cant get over the fear of others reactions. I also now worry a little more about health as there have been some effects (minor so far). Such a weird conflict because reactions and health (and other) effects turn me on, but also cause fear!

person12670:
I have definitely been scared of getting fat. Initially, it was purely about what others would think... mostly a few close relatives and friends (I actually like reactions from random people and some friends). Then I let go a bit (ok a lot, 80 lbs haha), and the fear subsided a little, but it still prevents me from getting fatter than 250 lbs. I really want to see what another 50 lbs would feel like but I cant get over the fear of others reactions. I also now worry a little more about health as there have been some effects (minor so far). Such a weird conflict because reactions and health (and other) effects turn me on, but also cause fear!

Yeah, the social repercussions can really hinder one's confidence and enthusiasm. How does one develop the courage to continue gaining in the face of those fears? I'd love to hear from those who were able to push through their initial apprehension and make that final leap.

scared of actually getting fat.5 days

For me, I am slightly nervous about the reactions of people not in my home, but in various parts of my life. But in the end I kinda just say, you know what? This isn't wrong. This isn't embarrassing. This is me, and gaining makes me feel good. I don't even try hard to gain necessarily even though that is my goal; my love of food is enough in itself for me to eat lots and gain with ease. I assume eventually my weight will stabilize naturally as my body gets used to my food intake, which can be a good thing because I'm not necessarily sure how big I wanna be quite yet. But for now, I'm putting on pounds easily and happily. smiley basically, screw what everyone else thinks. At the end of the day the only people that care about me are myself and a handful of close people in my life, and almost all of them accept me for who I am. Anyone that doesn't usually won't get my trust or respect in the first place to even make it to being a significant part of my life, so I don't pay much attention to them or their moronic opinions.