Fat experiences

Scared of actually getting fat.

I have definitely been scared of getting fat. Initially, it was purely about what others would think... mostly a few close relatives and friends (I actually like reactions from random people and some friends). Then I let go a bit (ok a lot, 80 lbs haha), and the fear subsided a little, but it still prevents me from getting fatter than 250 lbs. I really want to see what another 50 lbs would feel like but I cant get over the fear of others reactions. I also now worry a little more about health as there have been some effects (minor so far). Such a weird conflict because reactions and health (and other) effects turn me on, but also cause fear!
6 years

You have to do what's best for you. My mother-in-law to be has always been harsh with my fiance about his weight. When he got fat she was merciless. We finally set the record straight. She'll never approve, but one can't live ones life based on others' approval all the time.
6 years

august:
Have you determined what you're most afraid of when it comes to gaining? (i.e., others reactions, not being able to lose the weight if you change your mind, potential health issues, etc.)

I think it's helpful to realize that we've been conditioned since birth to believe that fat is unhealthy and unattractive. Our culture enforces this belief on a daily basis. Internalized fat phobia takes place as young as five years old (children said they would rather die of cancer or lose a limb than be fat). This is obviously something they are taught. We aren't born with the fear of fat.

Considering how much overt aggression & discrimination there is in this culture towards fat people, it's totally normal to be afraid of getting fat even as a fat admirer/gainer. Since fat phobia is so prevalent, anyone gaining weight is going to need to develop a support system. I'd recommend getting involved with fat activism, spending time with body positive/fat accepting individuals and limiting exposure to fat phobic people and media that promotes diet culture.

What a great reflection on this issue.

Here is one thing to consider when you think of this as a sexual desire (getting fat, making others fat, enjoying a fat partner):

Fear is just the flip-side of arousal for many. Check out any scary/sci-fi/slasher movie, and you will see that.
6 years

To me its also because of the people around me like my family, and the health problems of gaining weight such as diabetes type 2. Although I do wonder if the public's opinion on obese people would change, such as the fact that obesity rates are skyrocketing here in the US. Who knows, maybe in the future people won't look so bad down to obese people and the health problems of being obese will be gone!
6 years

august:
Have you determined what you're most afraid of when it comes to gaining? (i.e., others reactions, not being able to lose the weight if you change your mind, potential health issues, etc.)

I think it's helpful to realize that we've been conditioned since birth to believe that fat is unhealthy and unattractive. Our culture enforces this belief on a daily basis. Internalized fat phobia takes place as young as five years old (children said they would rather die of cancer or lose a limb than be fat). This is obviously something they are taught. We aren't born with the fear of fat.

Considering how much overt aggression & discrimination there is in this culture towards fat people, it's totally normal to be afraid of getting fat even as a fat admirer/gainer. Since fat phobia is so prevalent, anyone gaining weight is going to need to develop a support system. I'd recommend getting involved with fat activism, spending time with body positive/fat accepting individuals and limiting exposure to fat phobic people and media that promotes diet culture.

For me, the fear of getting fat comes from all those social pressures against it and and the fear of losing control. Yet - and perhaps not surprisingly - it is that very pressure and fear that makes the notion erotic to me.
6 years

person12670:
I have definitely been scared of getting fat. Initially, it was purely about what others would think... mostly a few close relatives and friends (I actually like reactions from random people and some friends). Then I let go a bit (ok a lot, 80 lbs haha), and the fear subsided a little, but it still prevents me from getting fatter than 250 lbs. I really want to see what another 50 lbs would feel like but I cant get over the fear of others reactions. I also now worry a little more about health as there have been some effects (minor so far). Such a weird conflict because reactions and health (and other) effects turn me on, but also cause fear!

borisharvey:
I agree that reactions from strangers would probably be a turn-on for me. Curious to know what kind of reactions you got from family and close friends when you packed on 80 lbs?

Mostly I got a lot of stares, and some shocked looks. Most comments from family and close friends attempted to be polite "Looks like you put on a few pounds", "Do you still exercise?", "Is that your pants size now!?", "Is everything ok?" One close friend did poke my belly and she couldn't believe how far her finger sank in so she repeated several times, exploring the new layer of fat that covered me. I got embarrassed (and excited) so I couldnt brig myself to ask what she thought, but I really wish I had. I am sure I am missing a few other fun encounters... and this doesn't cover the ones with random people. In any case, people have generally been polite but their looks and tone indicate that they are also clearly judging or grossed out.
6 years

While I was getting fat I was of two minds:
1. It was a real turn on;
2. I really didn’t like how I looked.

I realize now that I was worried what other people thought. I got over that and really loved being fat. I’ve had to take some off due to my pain doctor (lumbar surgery) harassing me about my belly affecting my back. I have a little more to take off but I can and will still proudly rock a belly.

For the most part other people’s opinions don’t matter.
6 years