General

Atheist/ agnostics/ anti- theism

Athiest here. Can't really say I have as good of a reason as everyone else that's posted here. Grew up in a non-religious environment and was allowed to explore whatever I wanted. Didn't really enjoy anything that I found, and definitely didn't believe any of it. (At the age of four, I called the children's book of Bible stories "Bad fairytales" to my uncle, who is a pastor.)
6 years

tapanda:
Athiest here. Can't really say I have as good of a reason as everyone else that's posted here. Grew up in a non-religious environment and was allowed to explore whatever I wanted. Didn't really enjoy anything that I found, and definitely didn't believe any of it. (At the age of four, I called the children's book of Bible stories "Bad fairytales" to my uncle, who is a pastor.)

ApronDoubleBelly:
I believed in the fairytales far top long. I hear of many raised in religious homes who wised up much younger than I. I wasn't such a free thinker but a blind pleaser until. Age 36. When I look back I'm appalled by my blindness

People fall in and out of religions at all ages, and really I'm not too surprised that 20s and 30s tend to be when people realize religion isn't for them. I guess I just don't usually see the harm in most religious doctrines, as long as specific parts aren't used to attack or vilify other groups of people.
6 years

I am an agnostic, even though I am raising my children as Catholics. I like the current Pope’s inclusive views on homosexuality (“God created them, they are therefore our brothers and sisters” - I paraphrase , of course), acceptance of birth control, etc. But I don’t personally know whether God exists or not. I consider atheism to be almost as illogical as theism. I mean, it is impossible to prove a negative, right?
6 years

Whoa,whoa, whoa! Apron, chill! I didn’t say atheists were ridiculous. And I was not attacking you in any way. I said I thought atheism was as illogical as theism. I wasn’t trying to debate the issue either, just stating my position, which is that anyone who claims certainty, on either side, needs to think harder. Whew! I’m guessing you are prickly about this because you have been bashed for stating your opinion before. I ain’t one a dem people, promise!
6 years

I have attempted suicide five times in the last six months because of atheism.
6 years

Come to my home, 900 Northeast 56 th Street Apartment 1, Pleasant Hill, Iowa, USA, look me in the eyes, and tell me I will not make love to Chris Farley in Heaven.
6 years