Gaining

Whey protein powder for fat gain?

Anyone tried adding this to their already otherwise fattening or excessive diet, and can give any feedback?
6 years

Dear god you'll get fat as fuck. Be careful for real. I know plenty of people who take to much and work out hard. Big muscles but moobs and a belly that makes men look like girls and if they don't work out at all just a blob. For real you'll gain big weight
6 years

faadmirer:
Dear god you'll get fat as fuck. Be careful for real. I know plenty of people who take to much and work out hard. Big muscles but moobs and a belly that makes men look like girls and if they don't work out at all just a blob. For real you'll gain big weight

How does protein powder work? Could you recommend a brand, and amount to take for the blob "effect".
6 years

For gaining weight, be sure to sweeten it up nicely with sugar. Protein and fat without the sugar and carbs may put you in Ketosis and make you LOSE weight.
6 years

They're frankly not that high in calories and super expensive. The "gaining powders" are also a total ripoff because they're simply 80% Dextrose or Maltodextrin. Save your $50 and go buy a giant bag of dextrose/malt at a beer brewing store for pennies on the dollar.....or just use sugar. It's all it is: a $50 container of sugar.

Heavy cream would blow away any whey or weight powder for fat gain. And taste ions better, too.
6 years

faadmirer:

This reply is so dramatically different than the one above. How? Lol...
6 years

Bicepsual:
They're frankly not that high in calories and super expensive. The "gaining powders" are also a total ripoff because they're simply 80% Dextrose or Maltodextrin. Save your $50 and go buy a giant bag of dextrose/malt at a beer brewing store for pennies on the dollar.....or just use sugar. It's all it is: a $50 container of sugar.

Heavy cream would blow away any whey or weight powder for fat gain. And taste ions better, too.
/

The cream is way too hard on me, I get never-ending diarrhea and indigestion/heartburn.
6 years

Bicepsual:

shesgonnabehuge:
/

The cream is way too hard on me, I get never-ending diarrhea and indigestion/heartburn.
That's fare. It's something you need to escalate daily starting with only 1/4 cup. Like many new foods, its hard on the IT until your body becomes accustomed to breaking it down.

But regarding protein powder, as a guy who spends over a grand a year on whey protein, I'm telling you it's a waste of money if you're tying to get fat. A big scoop of whey isolate is only 90cal and you're paying $50 for a container if it. A tiny tablespoon of vegetable oil has 50% more calories than that; go eat some tasty fried food for a fraction of the cost.

I'd be hard pressed to think of a more expensive, least fattening food than whey protein!
6 years

Type whey made me into Google and look at the suggestions. People who take too much get fat. The more you over do it and more regularly the fatter you'll get. I've seen it first hand in the gym and when I played sports. People who actually take appropriate doses and do their work out don't get fat...but shocker people don't always follow through or some guys take a bunch wanting faster muscle gains. so plenty of people have went online blaming whey for getting fat. As I've said I've seen it irl too so I don't doubt these people got big but it is their own fault. Also if heavy cream makes you sick you may wanna stay away from supplements they can make you sick as well assuming your issue isn't just lactose.
Also almond milk is a great heavy cream substitute just throwing that out there
6 years

Here's a touch of science I use with my clients:

Protein works because of a nitrogen that holds it all together. That's what our body needs to build and repair damage (like broken down muscle fibers from exercise, daily wear and tear, etc.). If your body does not need the nitrogen, then it will break the protein apart to be used as stored energy (body fat) and shed the nitrogen.

Basically if you consume more protein than your body needs, it turns straight into fat.

Nitrogen retention (keeping the protein as a protein and not fat) is different for everybody based on genetics, activity, diet, lifestyle, and so on. I think this variation is why you get so many different responses on the topic. So I'd recommend getting some and trying it out to see if it works for you!
6 years
12   loading