Fat experiences

Mcdonald's tables are too small

I've been a passionate fan of, and regular at McDonald's for the past couple of years, and it's getting harder and harder for me to fit behind the tables there as my belly closes the gap. Sometimes, I have to actively wriggle myself in and out to avoid getting stuck.

Come on, McDonald's—do your huskier customers a favour and start making the chairs and tables wider!
6 years

"huskier customers"

Can someone one tell me how the word "Husky", came to be used? Why not use Plus size, same as womens? I hear husky and I start looking around for a large K9.
6 years

So looking into it evidently nobody knows why we use husky as a synonym for fat. Like articles that referenced college professors specializing in etymology came up with nothing. The definition as a size is a colloquial use definition, people were using it that way so dictionaries added it.
If I had to hazard a guess someone was probably trying not to insult an important client's kid and they ran with it, which lead to other people using it to not insult that same kid.
That or it can be blamed on Sears, half of the weird ways things are done in retail are because Sears did it that way decades ago.
6 years

GainingLear:
That or it can be blamed on Sears, half of the weird ways things are done in retail are because Sears did it that way decades ago.

That's funny, Sears is the one place that I 'm 100% certain used the term "husky".
6 years

boundandfeed:
"huskier customers"

Can someone one tell me how the word "Husky", came to be used? Why not use Plus size, same as womens? I hear husky and I start looking around for a large K9.

When I was a kid I always had to shop where there were pants in Husky sizes. Its a term from the 50's and 60's. You were regular size or were a Husky.
5 years

xxfatprincessxx:
Omg I feel you- I'm only 205 but after stuffing myself my belly is hard pressed against a McDonald's table... You would think that McDonald's would want their customers to feel skinnier and eat more food...?

It is ironic that many restaurants, including fast food places like McDonald's have booths, and often chairs with arms, that fat people like myself can't fit into. And I am only 280 lbs. My BBW cousin and I recently had lunch and we both asked for a table because we can no longer fit in most booths. She is particularly annoyed because she can't fit into booths at her local Subway. We are the best customers for restaurants and they should be catering to our desire to be comfortable and encourage us to linger and order more food.
5 years

I remember one mall that had all chairs with arms in the food court. They had a major fire, and cleaned up all the chairs rather than replacing them. My wife and I got some friends together and started a letter writing campaign. They finally added some armless chairs. I know of one large man who would go to the doctor's office and sit on the floor if they had only small chairs. That usually got them to add some larger seats.
5 years