General

Ancient astronauts and alternate theories of creation/existence

Hi all,

After PeanutButter and Kellye said she thought it would be off topic to discuss her ancient astronaut theory, I wanted to give everyone an opportunity to discuss their thoughts about how the universe works, how earth and its people came to be, what, if anything, happened before the big bang, etc. I'm interested in hearing every bodies beliefs about this smiley

A side note since where discussing alternative theories of creation, I would consider the main stream theory to be that of god, Jesus Christ, and Mohamed. I would appreciate it if they where left out of this discussion.
14 years

14 years

Wafflecide wrote
But what if you thought Jesus and friends were super lizard time travellers? You would of course want to bring up how that effects mainstream religion. Yes?

that would no longer seem like mainstream religion, so yes.

for those that don't know about john titor here's a link:
johntitor.com/
14 years

This is so great a theory, really.
Even though it is hard to believe for me - actually so far I don't; which shall not mean anything - I am all and forever with you when it comes to the theory of organized religion. Even though it still gives me a hard time to believe this telepathy was once there, I believe that religion is one way - there are for sure several more - to explain things that are out of our tiny scientifical knowledge.
I'll tell you some story about this: My mother was never afraid when I came home later than expected. Once though, she was. It was my 18th birthday, had celebrated it at home, and got some friends back to train station. We had to wait for police investigations after a crime happened somewhere on the route. After half an hour, the train arrived, I hugged everyone goodbye, and went home with a friend who lives the same village. Out of the train came two drunk also heading there. Some hundred meters later, they took off a wooden bar from a big ad bill standing near the street, and I feel that if they hadn't been drunk, this could have ended badly. They were so bloody full that they couldn't quite coordinate.
When I told it to my mom the next day, she said like "Oh well, I had felt this".
So this clearly needs to have its roots somewhere as this is too big to be just a hazard. And for me, this is where things get mystic.
And people then, as mentioned, have quite some ways to explain this - stupid thing actually that humanity always appears to need explanation, but this is another chapter - some take it for the will of an outer being, some say it's interconnectivity of souls, and so on and so forth.

Really, I shall save your idea and think about as it's quite hard to grasp all at once, but it's great anyway. It shall further cost quite an effort, but one gets a major all around solution. smiley

Btw, great that FF is all so slow. Hit F5 by accident and could stop reload early enough, so I didn't have to restart all over again. smiley
14 years

Birth of new religions is interesting (referring to cargo cults) and seems to happen when there is a really wide techonological gap between two cultures.

In that point of view, who knows if all our religions are cargo cults as well, caused by ancient astronauts?

Was that self evident in this thread? If it was, excuse my thick-headedness.

And the lost telepathy through inbreeding and devolution..sounds plausible. Now we just need to figure out how to get it back!

-Sev

P.S. Wonderful thread!
14 years

Severino wrote
In that point of view, who knows if all our religions are cargo cults as well, caused by ancient astronauts?

I would definitely rule out some more modern religions as to not being caused by ancient astronauts.
If you think about Jesus christ, and compare it say to teh movie 'the day the earth stood still' from 1951, I see similarities. I mean the alien get's killed by scared people, he rises from the dead, and flies away in his space ship.
Jesus got killed by scared people, rose from the dead, and flew up into the sky.
Maybe I just discovered where the director got his script from, or maybe it shows that yesterday's god's are today's aliens. It's strange to think that tribe folk would call air planes gods, while if we didn't knew it was that flew in the sky, we at least know it isn't any deity.

Its a pretty wide spread theory the ancient astronauts. I found some info in the wiki:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_astronauts
14 years

IfMusicBe wrote
Nobody here is posting a "theory." You're all posting hypotheses.
...A guess is not a theory, it's a hypothesis.

This is a non to semi serious thread. Lets not get into fights about how truthful or not our theories/hypotheses are. I'm more interested in what people think, than whether it can be proven or not.
14 years

theraisedlid wrote
why then can we not just assume that this all occurred on Earth, without need of space travel? Why say it happened on an identical place elsewhere in the universe, when evolution is obviously as capable of the same results as here. It seems to factor in many seemingly unnecessary elements, which simply add more multiples to the equation of probability.

good point, but you assume your friend is the same friend. If you read further PeanutButter and Kellye states that the colonists die off, and we remain. Most of the knowledge of the colonists is lost now, but it perhaps somehow explains why we worship a god in the sky. So in your version of the story the guy that is similar to your friend, is actually an alien.

I don't know of any substantial proof that could silence or please any critic, the most there is is circumstantial evidence. IE why do some religions depict a god live in the sky, how is it possible that the pyramids are build exactly parallel to the equator, etc. If you see those things as 'proof', but i don't think we should be looking for that here.
14 years

About the possibility that there were no ancient astronauts, but instead a previous industrialized civilization on this planet..I remember once reading a scifi book with a similar idea where us humans almost destroyed our whole species many times to the point where it takes thousands of years to develop a civilization again. Can't remember the name of the book so if someone does, please do tell.

As to "theories" about creation on earth, one of my favorites is that of a large scale abandoned lab experiment. Like some alien race created life on earth as an experiment and then forgot all about it and went off with their business.

Its interesting to note how our understanding of reality and universe affects these things. In the middle ages people thought gods were just above the clouds or thereabouts because they knew no means to get that high. Or that gods were thought to look like humans but with godlike powers. Well, to people in the middle ages we would pass as gods easily. Now we know only superman and some Marvel heros can fly above the clouds, instead we are now talking about aliens, demented AI's, etc.

-Sev
14 years

Sev, buddy. I hate to tell you this but I think you killed the thread.

Demented A.I was just too much.
2 years
123   loading