Body inflation

Bloating with water, how much is too much? (before you need to add something to it)

lol it kills you dude, something about electrolysis poisoning...

I'm no expert, but it's not something i'd play around with.
14 years

Bloating with water, how much is too much? (before you need to add something to it)

jockturnedgainer wrote
Of course almost everyone has heard "if you drink a whole gallon of water without salt, something horrible will happen to you."

I understand the logic behind this from a scientific standpoint, causing the body to go into a sort of "hypertonic shock" but how much is too much really?

On numerous occasions I've downed a gallon of water or slightly more without adding salt or anything else to it and was just fine. Everyone's body chemistry is different but at what point do you really NEED some sort of additive to prevent problems?

If you're going to do a liquid stuffing it's best to do it with a sports drink like gatoraide. Though this won't comepletely eliminate the effects of water intoxication, it helps. Plus if you drink to much of the sports drink, i/e enough to cause water intoxication, you're likely to vomit before it becomes a problem; which though messy can save your life
14 years

jockturnedgainer wrote
I didn't ask about the effects, I'm fully aware of what they are...

I'm wondering at what point is it dangerous

Basically what all of us are saying is not to use large amounts of water for stuffing/bloating. Use something else instead which already has minerals/electrolytes/sugars in it. It depends but usually water can start to cause problems when you get to the point where you have a head-ache.
14 years

Rockette wrote
Thankyou for posting that. I wasn't aware the guidelines around that had changed! Obviously I've not ran a marathon in a long time. smiley

Is that the que to poke you and say "fattie"? smiley

PeanutButter and Kellye wrote
Maximum wrote
lol it kills you dude, something about electrolysis poisoning...

I'm no expert, but it's not something i'd play around with.

Electrolysis is hair removal, dingus.

>.>

<.<

^.^
14 years

It really has nothing to do with your body. You may have had a lot of salty food or something earlier and that reduced the effect. You'll know when something is going on... very dizzying experience.

If you feel up to it, enjoy. I know a lot of competitive eaters out there chug gallons all the time and I haven't heard anything about them trying to balance out their sodium levels.
14 years

wat wrote
It really has nothing to do with your body. You may have had a lot of salty food or something earlier and that reduced the effect. You'll know when something is going on... very dizzying experience.

If you feel up to it, enjoy. I know a lot of competitive eaters out there chug gallons all the time and I haven't heard anything about them trying to balance out their sodium levels.

Competitive eaters who use water to increase their capacity almost all use an additive to the water to help stave off H2O intoxication. It doesn't matter how "used to it" you are, you can't build up a tolerance to water because that's all it is.
14 years

OniGumo wrote
[quote]wat wrote
It doesn't matter how "used to it" you are, you can't build up a tolerance to water because that's all it is.

I did not imply that
14 years

wat wrote
OniGumo wrote
[quote]wat wrote
It doesn't matter how "used to it" you are, you can't build up a tolerance to water because that's all it is.

I did not imply that

I didn't imply that you implied anything
14 years

starried wrote
For a while, I was drinking a LOT of water because it helped with my tooth pain. I easily drank over a gallon a day, for maybe a week. All that happened was I had to go to the bathroom a LOT. I mean, every few minutes. Ridiculousss. Haha.

The issue isn't a maximum amount you can have a day, the issue is more drinking so much in a short amount of time, the body can't handle it and stuff happens which as proven earlier in this thread, i have no idea about. smiley
13 years

I got one of FF's finest bits of boytummy to do the research while I polished my nails. Here's the lowdown:

The amount that's too much varies from person to person and depends on your body's condition at the time.

But to maximise your chances of avoiding water intoxication (potentially fatal), add 200ml of orange juice (or squash, or Ribena) and a quarter teaspoon of salt to each litre of water. There can also be issues with the balance of stuff like potassium & magnesium, which isotonic sports drinks like Gatorade contain, so drink some of that too or mix it with the water.

Oh and stop drinking water if you get a headache & drink just Gatorade.

Boffin Kaptn03 has all the scientific info if you need it...
13 years
123   loading