General

Fakes

I've come across it moderately often. If they are obviously lying, cutting them off is the way to go, helps teach them that they can't pull that sort of trick with you and get away with it. I've got a very low tolerance policy for it all... there's far more people for me to possibly talk to than just waste one's time on a liar.
12 years

Fakes

Eh, it happens on the net. A lot of people can pretend to be anything/one they want online.

Fact is, people can do it face to face as well. Just be careful and cautious. If something seems odd, it probably is odd.

How I handled it? I called them on the bullshit. The lack of them responding or trying to prove they aren't full of shit just speaks volumes that they are guilty.

You do what works best for you. Just don't be one of those people that will settle for the lies because something else that's not as important attracts you to them.....
12 years

Fakes

I know someone who lost their life savings by falling in love online with someone they never met. (NOT involving FF). The Internet is a good way to meet, but it still takes old fashion face to face contact to judge someone.
12 years

Fakes

Although I agree that this is the only way to have people prove they are who they say they are

When I first joined FF I couldnt find the cord to my camera to charge it, seriously
So I only had the photos up that were already on my computer and I also hadnt figured out how to find my webcam in my programs and didnt have a camera phone, so if someone had of asked me to go on cam or do a photo with a sign I wouldnt have been able to

and Im obviously real
So sometimes people really do have broken cameras or no webcam or whatever, so maybe give them some time to take a photo on a friends camera or something.
12 years

Fakes

rubyripples wrote:
[quote]Also, remember I'm a Mod on the site and i've been here for six years. I've been a shoulder to cry on for many members who have been drawn in and lied to. If you suspect the person you are chatting with isn't who or what they claim to be, give me a pm or talk to me in chat. I won't give out any private member info, I am very strict about confidentiality.

Thank you Ruby and the other mods who provide this invaluable service voluntarily and out of your own free time smiley Not everyone may agree with every Moderator decision ever made on this site, but vigilant & where necessary kind moderation makes this site feel totally different to other sites.
12 years

Fakes

Cookie22 wrote:
Which leads me to wonder if any of you have ever had this experience?

only every time I log in
12 years

Fakes

foxglove wrote:
rubyripples wrote:
[quote]Also, remember I'm a Mod on the site and i've been here for six years. I've been a shoulder to cry on for many members who have been drawn in and lied to. If you suspect the person you are chatting with isn't who or what they claim to be, give me a pm or talk to me in chat. I won't give out any private member info, I am very strict about confidentiality.

Thank you Ruby and the other mods who provide this invaluable service voluntarily and out of your own free time smiley Not everyone may agree with every Moderator decision ever made on this site, but vigilant & where necessary kind moderation makes this site feel totally different to other sites.
This is the sort of thing that puts FF ahead of any other site, warms your heart really.

Have to point out Layla's comment too, as there are some who do have the odd problem, that could easily make them seem fake. Took me ages to post any pics and that was with help from one of my daughters, didn't even know how to use Skype until someone showed me. However, bar the computer illiterate, everyone else, certainly the young, should be able to prove who they are.
12 years

Fakes

well, really never got anything serious here but had long distance one and she basicly cheated behind my back. Oh well there will be lairs and people who are truth.

I'm a truthful guy, ya most of time I've been on this site didn't have pic cause shy and would be more than happy to send one to someone like a sign or w.e.
12 years

Fakes

Thanks for this, although I do like to give a new person a chance (after all they may well be real), this imformation is very useful. I have to agree with if it's too good to be true, the person is either not true, or a lier. If someone seems like a dream, then it's probably best to quiz them a lot. Otherwise you can always settle for someone with loads of imperfections like myself.
12 years

Fakes

Fantasy is a way of life for some people unfortunately.
12 years