Stuffing

Stuffing yourself at a buffet alone

I do it a bit. Though I rarely people watch when I do. It's mostly about getting as full as possible when I do it.
8 years

With no better way to put it, I have no friends to eat with.
And if it wasn't for buffets I'd go broke, so I've eaten alone at them dozens of times.

It's no big deal, there are usually one or two other people eating alone during lunch or maybe even dinner. They typically only have a couple of plates before leaving. I've only been to a couple of places where I got weird looks so I don't go to those anymore. Sometimes the staff will be really nice (because they get a kick out of my appetite) but you also get the places where the person waiting your table will ignore you because they're too busy dealing with the groups of people (bigger tips).
8 years

So it's surprises me people ask about eating along. I never did it in college except for maybe a hamburger from the snack bar. When I graduated, I took a job that was 90% travel, now years latter, same field, it's down to 50% or so. But you either eat alone, or eat overpaid room service, or takeout. I avoid the last two 99% of the time.

I'm so used to it, the question is so out of left field.

Big fan of non Chinese ethnic buffets (Indian, Korean, Afganastani, Greek etc.) great way to try new foods, but I try to watch my weight, because I enjoy being physically active too much.

Never noticed buffets attracting binge eaters- I guess I don't pay attention to other patrons (and I tend to avoid American buffets.) Actually, I'm more siding with it being the ethnic buffets- I don't tend to miss many fat women, unless they are preteen or collecting social security. even if the women isn't attractive, there is usually some about her that's hot.

There's a Greek place I go to that has a bunch of hot fat waitresses, and a manager that looks like she's fighting it, but the customers at lunch tend to be young thin to average women and elderly (the foods pretty light, but excellent.)

At 2:30 they close the buffet and I know the waitresses can have what they want. And it looks like they do.
8 years

I have also gone to a few buffets or other meals by myself and stuffed. Mostly because I don't really have any fat friends or feeders to do it with! It's still fun though, especially getting a few looks as my belly begins to push out against my shirt and belt more and more.
7 years

I eat out alone pretty often, hitting a buffet once or twice a week. I really don't push myself that hard, but I do eat more than the average person.
7 years

I have done this a few times. Here are my tips:

1. Go at an off-peak time. Being at a buffet alone during a dinner or lunch rush makes being alone feel more strange. Going at a less busy time also lets you pick where you want to sit.
2. Bring something to read. It signals that you are going to take your time. Being on your phone doesn't send the same signal as a paperback or a newspaper. You only need to read it in between the later rounds of stuffing yourself.
3. Talk to your server when you first come in. It's not as awkward for them if they know you are trying to eat as much as you can, and sometimes they will cheer you on. I have had someone ask the kitchen to make something that wouldn't otherwise be available. Your server can also either give you more or less attention if you let them know that is what you want. I have told them to completely ignore me so they could get their side work done or have a break, and I would come let them know if I needed anything. Just remember to tip well.
4. Take a look-see lap around the whole buffet before even getting a plate, and plan out your meal. I've done:
A. All veggies, then all starches, then all protein, then sweets
B. alternating savory and sweet plates
C. Picking out everything I want to make sure I at least get a taste of and then going back for bigger portions of your three favorites
7 years

@JayDee303 that’s really good advice. I’m always terrified to go to a buffet alone or even just eat out alone for anxiety’s sake.
5 years

Thank you @plumpingup
5 years

JayDee303:

3. Talk to your server when you first come in. It's not as awkward for them if they know you are trying to eat as much as you can, and sometimes they will cheer you on. I have had someone ask the kitchen to make something that wouldn't otherwise be available. Your server can also either give you more or less attention if you let them know that is what you want. I have told them to completely ignore me so they could get their side work done or have a break, and I would come let them know if I needed anything. Just remember to tip well.

Out of curiosity, how do you go about explaining that to your server?
5 years