Food and recipes

Easy summer casserole

So, this is a recipe I put together because I didn't like some of the ingredients in a Squash Casserole I found. (I hate zucchini and water chestnuts. Sorry) But it's still easy and so delicious it disappears almost as soon as it's done.

I used 1 cooked and seasoned chicken breast (bone in)
2 Summer Squash
1 package of presliced mushrooms (I used portabello but white mushrooms would be fine as well)
1 10 oz can of Cream of Chicken soup
1 8oz package of Sour Cream
1 small bag of seasoned stuffing (I did not use stove top but I'm sure it would work fine)
And 1 bag of Uncle Ben's Boil-In-A-Bag brown rice.

So first I thinly sliced my summer squash and sauteed it along with the mushrooms in a very liberal amount of butter, and preheated my oven to 350.

I then stripped my chicken breast from the bones and chopped the meat into small pieces. I'm sure drumsticks or thighs would also work, but they have a lot of excess fat to be trimmed away first because no one wants to bite into a lump of chicken fat.

The chopped chicken was then tossed into a bowl along with the sour cream and cream of chicken. Mixed thoroughly.

Once the squash and shrooms were done, I drained them with the butter going into another bowl and then tossed them into the mixture.

I put the uncooked bread crumbs into the butter bowl and stirred until they were slightly moist and all butter had been soaked up. Toss that into the mixture and stir.

Finally cooked and added the brown rice. Folded rice in gently (mix is getting pretty thick at this point)

Once everything is all mixed together, I poured it into my baking dish (in this case a disposable tinfoil pan), spread it evenly, and popped it into the oven for 30 minutes uncovered.

Once done, just let it sit for about 10 minutes and then it's ready to eat!!
It's so good, even picky eaters went back for seconds!

6 years