Story authors

Unexpected deletions

Has anyone else had problems with unexpected deletions while they are writing?
In the last hour, I was in the middle of writing a chapter when suddenly, the page disappeared and went back to the page that shows all your chapters.
I was disappointed, but I understand glitches happen. It just meant that I had to go back a little way to my last save point. So I went to go back into the chapter and the whole chapter deleted itself! No warning. Nothing!
This is not the first time I’ve had unexpected chapter deletions. I wouldn’t mind so much, but when you have spent time on a chapter, getting into character’s heads and such, it interrupts the artistic flow. Now I have to go back to think about where my character was at the end of the last chapter. It’s like going back in time, most disturbing!
5 years

Unexpected deletions

never happened to me but then i write/compose off line in word, massaging/editing/dividing into chapters there before cutting/pasting chapter by chapter here.

b
5 years

Unexpected deletions

PregnantStarSmoke:
I would definitely recommend writing things up somewhere else before posting them on here. That would avoid that issue, and you'd still have a copy saved if your story ever disappeared or anything like that. This site has a ton of little glitches like that.

Exactly!
5 years

Unexpected deletions

ObviousLurker:
Google Docs are your friend. Instant saving.

You should not keep your creative efforts online. Google can delete these at any time or even report you for a hate crime. Your PC is your friend.
5 years

Unexpected deletions

Good idea about writing it up somewhere else, but I find I’m best writing just before I go to sleep in bed. I used to write the old fashioned way with a pen and a large exersise book plus lots of scribbling out!
I have progressed to my iPad as it is as portable to use as an exersise book, plus I can do it in the dark when I can’t sleep. Doing it on the big computer means I’ve got to get up! I have tried writing on the big computer, but I tend to get tied up with the technical bits and the ideas don’t flow so well. I have word on my iPad too, but it’s not very good at cutting and pasting large amounts of text, I find. Maybe I’m doing that wrong too... I could write a little bit, cut and paste, then write a little bit more, but, I know when the story starts to flow, I’ll forget and I’ll end up transferring 20 chapters a couple of lines at a time!
Well at least I don’t write on my phone! The screen is so small, how can you possibly read back your sentences and check for errors?
I suppose I will have to make some compromises. Either get up and write on the big computer when i can’t sleep and sacrifice some of the artistic flow, or continue to write on my iPad and take the risk of losing the odd chapter or two when glitches occur.
5 years

Unexpected deletions

Aha! I’ve just thought of the perfect solution! Write in word on the iPad in bed when I can’t sleep, then in the morning, open up word via the cloud and then cut and paste into FF! Yeah!
5 years

Unexpected deletions

Aquarius64:
Aha! I�ve just thought of the perfect solution! Write in word on the iPad in bed when I can�t sleep, then in the morning, open up word via the cloud and then cut and paste into FF! Yeah!

That's definitely the cheapest solution...another that is far more convenient considering writing/ composing on the ipad is like typing while wearing bixing gloves is to purchase a compatible, low level laptop wth a standard-sized keyboard, and cut/paste/ (what i miss most on the ipsd) ... Backspace.

B
5 years

Unexpected deletions

Thanks Built, I get your meaning about typing in the iPad, but I’m used to it now! It can be annoying, but it can also be useful, because it means you check each sentence as you go.
5 years