Lifestyle tips

Difficulties of 300+ pound body and how can a partner help?

Hey all,

I'm curious. If someone has a 300+ pound body, what are some of the physical limitations they have? What can a partner do to help this person navigate their lives?

(I'm not addressing immobility here. this assumes that a person can get around on their own)

Asking for future reference and research. Thanks!
5 years

This is a good question. Could it be broken down by age and weight?
Whats to be expectd?
5 years

This is a very broad topic.

And some people start experiencing very heavy limitations even at 250 pounds, while others remain very active and flexible even at 500+.
5 years

curiousv:

And some people start experiencing very heavy limitations even at 250 pounds, while others remain very active and flexible even at 500+.

This is very true. I'm currently around 360 and still fairly strong and mobile. A few difficulties have been developing in the last year or so, though.

Restaurant booths and chairs: Before taking your partner to a new restaurant, take a look at the seating arrangements. Most chairs with arms are uncomfortable for me, since I tend to gain weight in my lower half (hips/butt/thighs). And booths can sometimes be a tight squeeze. Hot, but pressure on my belly isn't conducive to filling it all the way.

Cars: I can squish myself into a compact car if I have to, but it's not very comfortable. Larger vehicles fit me better. People who gain primarily in the belly may have an easier time with this.

Air travel: I'll definitely have to get two seats if I ever fly again. If you're booking a flight for you and your partner, check their policy toward "customers of size". Southwest is pretty good about it. Again, people with most of their weight in the belly might be good with just a seatbelt extender. My problem is wide hips and butt.

Feet: It's getting harder to deal with shoes and cut/paint my toenails as my belly grows. I can do it, it's just a pain. If I had an SO who offered to help me it would be amazing!

Stuff on the floor: My new weight distribution is kind of throwing off my balance. Again, I can pick things up off the floor or scrub the floor, it's just harder. I would happily trade other chores for an SO to scrub the floor for me.

Furniture: Sturdy furniture is more expensive, sadly, but it would do wonders for my peace of mind. I keep wondering when my cheap office chair and IKEA armchair are going to break. Pretty sure neither of them was intended to hold 300+ pounds on a regular basis! Plus my hips are now overflowing the armchair.

Walking together: Please slow down a bit and don't be surprised if your partner wants to pause for a quick break now and then. You would think this was obvious, but considering how many friends and family members have left me in the dust, it's apparently not.
5 years

sweetfattie:
This is very true. I'm currently around 360 and still fairly strong and mobile. A few difficulties have been developing in the last year or so, though.

This was really a great description! Just with the right amount of details, and very immersive.

What I'm curious about, is how do you sleep. In what position? I always wondered about how women with your body type sleep, and what positions they find comfortable and uncomfortable. How it developed over time, etc.
5 years

curiousv:
This was really a great description! Just with the right amount of details, and very immersive.

What I'm curious about, is how do you sleep. In what position? I always wondered about how women with your body type sleep, and what positions they find comfortable and uncomfortable. How it developed over time, etc.

Thank you! smiley

I've always preferred to sleep on my stomach or my side. It's hard for me to get to sleep on my back, every time I try I wake up on my stomach or side. Been this way since I was a kid and only a little chubby, so I don't think it has to do with how I've fattened myself up.
5 years

curiousv:

sweetfattie:

Restaurant booths and chairs: Before taking your partner to a new restaurant, take a look at the seating arrangements. Most chairs with arms are uncomfortable for me, since I tend to gain weight in my lower half (hips/butt/thighs). And booths can sometimes be a tight squeeze. Hot, but pressure on my belly isn't conducive to filling it all the way.

Cars: I can squish myself into a compact car if I have to, but it's not very comfortable. Larger vehicles fit me better. People who gain primarily in the belly may have an easier time with this.

Air travel: I'll definitely have to get two seats if I ever fly again. If you're booking a flight for you and your partner, check their policy toward "customers of size". Southwest is pretty good about it. Again, people with most of their weight in the belly might be good with just a seatbelt extender. My problem is wide hips and butt.

Feet: It's getting harder to deal with shoes and cut/paint my toenails as my belly grows. I can do it, it's just a pain. If I had an SO who offered to help me it would be amazing!

Stuff on the floor: My new weight distribution is kind of throwing off my balance. Again, I can pick things up off the floor or scrub the floor, it's just harder. I would happily trade other chores for an SO to scrub the floor for me.

Furniture: Sturdy furniture is more expensive, sadly, but it would do wonders for my peace of mind. I keep wondering when my cheap office chair and IKEA armchair are going to break. Pretty sure neither of them was intended to hold 300+ pounds on a regular basis! Plus my hips are now overflowing the armchair.

Walking together: Please slow down a bit and don't be surprised if your partner wants to pause for a quick break now and then. You would think this was obvious, but considering how many friends and family members have left me in the dust, it's apparently not.

This is a great description thank you so much for you response!

Now is there anything in terms of daily lifestyle that you've noticed has changed or that you would want a partner to help with? (ie. certain house hold chores, etc.?)

Thank you so much! My partner is thinking of getting this big so I'm trying to figure out how to best support them smiley

Thank you again!
5 years

plumpingup:
This is a great description thank you so much for you response!

Now is there anything in terms of daily lifestyle that you've noticed has changed or that you would want a partner to help with? (ie. certain house hold chores, etc.?)

Thank you so much! My partner is thinking of getting this big so I'm trying to figure out how to best support them smiley

Thank you again!

You're very welcome, and kudos for researching these things ahead of time! I thought of a couple more things.

Bathing: Get a detachable shower head, they're not too expensive and make SUCH a difference in keeping all the nooks and crannies clean! There's nothing better for washing under my belly hang. Cleanliness is more important the fatter you get, especially if you have lots of rolls, since bacteria and yeasts love skin folds.

If your partner enjoys taking baths, a standard sized bathtub will not do the job. If you own your home and can afford some renovation, consider installing an extra wide tub. Have your partner come to showrooms with you so they can see if they fit in the various models of bathtubs. If you rent or cannot afford renovation, save up for an occasional trip to a local day spa so they can soak in a nice peaceful hot tub.

Heat: Everyone is different in this regard, I've met a couple fat women who hated the cold and basked in the heat. (I suspect they might have some untreated hypothyroidism.) But most fat people I've talked to overheat easily, including me. I have so much insulating blubber now and I'm still packing it on! Take the heat into account when planning outdoor activities and chores. I hate vacuuming because of the hot vacuum exhaust, for example. Fortunately the house I currently live in has hard floors everywhere so I can sweep and mop instead. And standing over a hot stove for a long time is very uncomfortable. I'll happily cook things like stir fry, eggs, pancakes, sausage, pan seared meats, sautes, foods that don't take too long. Baking is fine too, I can get out of the kitchen and cool off for a while once I put the food in the oven. But soups, sauces, and puddings that require standing at the stove and stirring forever? I'll melt into a puddle of sweat!

Let me know if you have any more questions, I'm happy to help. smiley
5 years

Fatty_Jane:

Buying gifts for them like clothes and shoes will cost more because plus size clothing takes more material.

Hello, this part of your answer made me smile... "i'm not sure" clothes for plus size people are more expansive because they need more material... lol the problem comes from the hand work needed for make them... If you can produce thousands of average clothes, they will be less expansive than if you have to make them one by one...

In a society where most of people should be plus sized people, it should be the opposite, clothes for average people should be more expansive than for plus sized...

Material is a minor part of the price for clothes...

Once again, this part of your answer made me smile... but i also found it cute... smiley

Greeting

My english is not really good, i hope i ve been eough understandable
5 years

At least to me, the challenges that come with getting fat are the same ones you face getting older: things hurt more, take longer, and people are awkward about it. At higher weights and ages, there becomes more help with little things like reaching and considering seating, and balancing helping with more sensitive things like grooming.
5 years
12   loading