Story authors

Using numbers in weight gain stories

Not a fan of numbers for the reasons you point out; and particularly because the authors often distort them to the point they instantly destroy any realism that took so much time/work to construct in the story.

Womens' heights and structure vary so much that numbers truly don't mean much. I know a couple fitness models (sub 10%BF - can see muscle striations in their abdomen) that weigh almost 200lbs. And a short friend of my wife's is 200lbs and has a fupa that hangs below her pelvis. The number is irrelevant.
5 years

As a mediocre writer but a Voracious reader and commentator- I like numbers.I Love numbers. I can always conjure up Someone from personal experience or models online to compare to story characters.
But if someone is totally clueless. Like saying " Laura was every man's dream.5'10" and 110 lbs " etc.
6'0" and 105.( saw this stat recently)
Then I despise numbers.It only takes a modicum of research to get realistic numbers
5 years

What absolutely ruins a story is when the measurements are listed in the first few sentences. This has always been, in my experience, the indicator of an awfully written story. Please provide counterexamples if you know some.

Whether to include numbers at all? It depends. It's the same as with any literary trope: include them if, and only if, they serve a role in supporting the story. If they add something to it in a meaningful way.

In my story "More than an ideal" I deliberately used numbers quite often, because it was important to the story. The story is set over a relatively long period of time, the numbers are important to the characters, and some plot points are depending on them.

In my other stories I usually avoid numbers completely.

I would suggest using numbers if they serve an important role, but never use them as the primary description of a character. Especially don't put their first appearance sooner in the story than visual descriptions.

Also, don't use numbers alone without visual descriptions. I've never ever seen a good (or even mediocre) story which relied solely on numbers and never or very rarely used visual descriptions.
5 years

curiousv:
What absolutely ruins a story is when the measurements are listed in the first few sentences. This has always been, in my experience, the indicator of an awfully written story. Please provide counterexamples if you know some.

Whether to include numbers at all? It depends. It's the same as with any literary trope: include them if, and only if, they serve a role in supporting the story. If they add something to it in a meaningful way.

In my story "More than an ideal" I deliberately used numbers quite often, because it was important to the story. The story is set over a relatively long period of time, the numbers are important to the characters, and some plot points are depending on them.

In my other stories I usually avoid numbers completely.

I would suggest using numbers if they serve an important role, but never use them as the primary description of a character. Especially don't put their first appearance sooner in the story than visual descriptions.

Also, don't use numbers alone without visual descriptions. I've never ever seen a good (or even mediocre) story which relied solely on numbers and never or very rarely used visual descriptions.

I agree completely. Though I've personally fallen victim to the numbers game early on. I'll occasionally toss them on because I know that there's a sub set of the community which likes them. But I'd never use them as the only reference given heights and body types cause them to be almost meaningless.
5 years

Even when avoiding actual numbers, implied numbers can be tricky. That is, if in the process of growth you want various events to happen to show the growth, the author needs to have some clue about the sizes and weights.

There is a fair bit of flexibility in most of these, but if you have a character at about the same time/size: need to start shopping in a plus sizes store, need a seat belt extender, have trouble walking up a flight of stairs -- then clearly your implied numbers don't line up.
5 years