Lifestyle tips

Back pain and aches

Hello everyone,
This isn't a topic referring to me rather my girlfriend.
She isn't a traditional feedee more of a foodee, since we have started dating she has put a lot of weight on. At last weigh in she was close to 400lb.

As she has gotten heavier things like back pain has cropped up and not being able to walk very far. I wanted to ask the other members that may be close or over 400lbs how do you manage your aches and pains?
5 years

Back pain and aches

A practical solution to back problems is Glucosomine and Chondroitin supplement. This is not a painkiller but instead strengthens the back.

As for walking the sensible thing would be to walk less. Get an electric scooter. Get a big one for outside use, they do 8mph. Or get a little one that fits in the car. They can handle heavier weight than stated.
5 years

Back pain and aches

Has anyone on here had any experience with back braces. The weight of my belly hang is really starting to strain my lower back. Short walks or standing for any length of time really makes it uncomfortable. I want to continue wearing my pants under my belly...this is just more comfortable for me but I have read about things like obesity belts or belly bras. Just wondered if anyone here had tried them with any success? I feel like if I could simply distribute some of the belly weight to my shoulders it would be so much easier than having it all pulling on my middle to lower back area.
5 years

Back pain and aches

I get lower back pain if I walk at all far and have to stop and rest and I'm only about 300.
I find that if I walk a little way every day then it helps keep the lower back muscles ok.
I see, you're in the UK. The NHS website (www.nhs.uk) has a range of floor exercises for lower back pain
5 years

Back pain and aches

I have found that swimming has helped strengthen my back. It allows me to exercise those core muscles without having to deal with the weight of my gut. I found it really helpful.
5 years

Back pain and aches

I get back aches when I gain weight quickly. It mainly affects me when I'm doing a lot of bending, or washing the dishes. Putting my elbows on the counter to support myself does the trick.

As for walking, I've been thinking about this lately. If the back aches really affected me while walking, I think I might try buying some forearm crutches and seeing if that extra support helps alleviate the ache.
3 years