Story authors

Punctuation being replaced with “?euro?”

I’ve tried doing it a few ways from entering the puncatuion in manually via the sight and copy and pasting it from other text editiors. But for whatever reason everytime I try and upload it comes out with the quotation marks and ‘ “” replaced with that weird alphabet soup.
5 years

Upon further testing, it only happens if you copy and past your story in from an internal text editior.
5 years

Adsein:
I’ve tried doing it a few ways from entering the puncatuion in manually via the sight and copy and pasting it from other text editiors. But for whatever reason everytime I try and upload it comes out with the quotation marks and ‘ “” replaced with that weird alphabet soup.

I've noticed the same thing and I hope they fix it soon. I write all my stuff in MSWord soooooo...
5 years

The best solution I’ve found is to post the story and manually fix the puncutation through editing. Though that’s still definetly triage to an issue that needs to be fixed.
5 years

The website currently uses Windows-1252 text encoding, so some characters may get changed if the document was written with a different encoding standard such as UTF-8 (Unicode). I'm intending to move the website over to Unicode at some point in the future, however in the meantime you may be able to convert your document to Windows-1252 using an online converter, such as the one at webutils.pl/Charset-Converter.
5 years

@hiccupx, thanks! Using that info, I had a play with the "Modify Content-Type" extension in the Chrome Web Store.
It looks like you just need to remove the charset=UTF-8 from the "Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8" header that the web server sets when serving HTML.

Web browsers seem to prioritise that header over the meta tag that specifies charset=windows-1252, resulting in them displaying pages as UTF-8 and stuffing up the curly quotes.
5 years

Thanks for this pointer, I've now changed the server configuration.
5 years