Story authors

Stories to appear in a different order

I will shortly be changing the way stories are ordered on the listing page fantasyfeeder.com/stories. They will no longer be ordered by most recently created or updated, instead they will be ordered by 'recommended'. Stories will be recommended based on an algorithm that assigns a score to each story, those with the highest score being shown first.

Although the algorithm will need to be fine tunes over the comming weeks, it should show the highest quality stories first, those that have been on the site for a while and also the highest quality new comers.

You can see where your story will appear in the listings by clicking on search and sorting by recommended. There are also some things you can do to improve your rankings such as:

* Uploading a thumbnail
* Adding a detailed description
* Adding more chapters
5 years

Congratulations, so regular readers who are always looking for the latest work in stories (after all, as regulars they already read everything else) will be frustrated trying to find it.

Does this REALLY sound like a good idea?
5 years

It will still be possible to search by newest story, but this won't be the default setting.

For those people who wish to read every new story available and are less concerned about quality, then they'll need to order by most recent. Howewer for people tired of searching for better quality stories things will be easier.

Also Authors who spend a lot of time creating good quality stories will get a higher ranking than someone who's tried less hard. I'm hoping that this will ultimately lead to better quality stories being uploaded.
5 years

Thanks for all your feedback on this. It's great that so many of you care enough about the stories section to speak up about your concerns, and I've tried to take these into account.

The stories listings have now been re-ordered so that the most popular stories are shown first. This will highlight our best stories to new-commers, hopefully encouraging them to stay. It also gives due credit to our most talented and conscientious authors who have taken time and effort to create really entertaining stories.

However it's apparent that many of you longer term members have read most of the stories we have and just want to see the new stories comming in. Well I've created a new feature that should accomodate this, by automatically saving your searches and displaying the results by default.

When you first view the story listings they will be ordered by recommended. However if you then search by most recent, this search will be saved so that when you return the most recent results are shown. You should only need to do this search once.
5 years

Brilliant job! Thank you for finding a way to please both old and new members!
Thank you smiley
5 years

I would sign up for premium to have the option of viewing the list of stories the old way. Please make a secondary story menu that allows for viewing the old way!

I am fine with changes and features that may attract new members, but trying to learn a new way to go through all of the posted stories is unnecessarily frustrating. I even briefly considered whether I should begin to advocate for moving the writing community elsewhere, but I love FF. If the old way of viewing the stories could coexist with the new story menu, I'm sure you would see more engagement overall.

If this is not possible, I would really like to know why.

Thank you!
5 years

chasingfall:
I would sign up for premium to have the option of viewing the list of stories the old way. Please make a secondary story menu that allows for viewing the old way!

I am fine with changes and features that may attract new members, but trying to learn a new way to go through all of the posted stories is unnecessarily frustrating. I even briefly considered whether I should begin to advocate for moving the writing community elsewhere, but I love FF. If the old way of viewing the stories could coexist with the new story menu, I'm sure you would see more engagement overall.

If this is not possible, I would really like to know why.

Thank you!

The only thing that’s really changed is the ‘more’ button, but making good use of the search should reduce the need to see all the various parameters in the listings. Your search is remembered from one visit to the next so you only have to do this once and you can list by ‘most recent’ as it was before. If there are any search parameters you feel are missing or additional ones you’d like to see just let me know.
5 years