Lifestyle tips

Just in need of some advice and maybe a little comfort

So here's the deal, I was gonna ask for like advice on Feabie originally because I have an account there and wanted some feedback because for me my doctor said I'm on the cusp of diabetes, but I'm also not pre diabetic because he said I don't have it, so I'm like "...Okay??" I apparently have high cholesterol and high blood sugar but I don't feel any different than I did with my very first check with this doctor like almost more than half a year ago, well more than half a year ago, and with the last check up I had where I found out I gained 15 pounds(had to be secretly happy about it because ya know), no I'm not a gainer I do not intentionally try to actively gain but I eat a lot because I like food. He also slipped in having another test that I really didn't need as a side note of course :rollseyes:, like I'm done getting tests, I already found out what I needed to know thank you. I was on the fence of posting on Feabie, like I wanted to to get advice or at least some solice but then I saw a comment that reminded me what kind of hate I could possibly get for even asking what I should if I wanna still be big of course but not have anything wrong seriously wrong with me. I don't know if I'm going to get any hate here that I would Feabie, I probably will idk, but I felt a little more comfortable asking here then there, what I might have to do, something that does make me a little sad is that I might have to lose a couple pounds which saddens me, like I'm not a gianer but that doesn't sit well with them, but I also wanna bring my blood sugar down, I'm not about to so some huge overhaul and and just cut every single thing I like to eat that is NOT happening don't want it and ain't gonna have it, so I'm just looking for some advice on what I should do, what are some tips that might be helpful if I can if possible to maintain my weight but not get any serious things wrong with me, I would highly appreciate it.
5 years

Lollipop Guilt:
Well you got roughly 3 choices:

* Lose weight or at least don't gain more

* Gain but not via fat but muscles

* Or gain go to check-ups regularly and/or get instruments to measure your bloodpressure and blood sugar at home an when ever needed take the medication the doctor will prescribe you at any time.

Just for the record: I have indeed a different view on those things than you but thought I'll just answer your question under your premisses.

I think the first two might be the better of the two choices, obviously I'm not about to loose 100 pounds of what I already have, though I already know the doctor is gonna basically try and get me to but that's certainly not happening, I appreciate your input by the way thank you. If I were to gain though more that would be fine, but to have to deal with constantly checking my blood pressure and all of that with also having to also probably get some lectures from the fam and how I could've done things differently is not really appealing to my anyways XD
5 years

Your blood sugar is a complex combination of issues. You may be able to address it with some combination of the following.

-Take Cinnamon supplements (Increases the
body's ability to regulate sugar)
- Avoid foods with sugar and simple carbs
- When you eat carbs, eat them with lots of
fiber as it slows the absorbtion of sugar
(from carbs)
- If you want more calories eat healthy fats
including dairy
- And by the way, Red Yeast Rice supplements
can reduce cholesterol. However, the latest
studies show no correlation between heart
disease, strokes and cholesterol.
5 years

fatchance:
Your blood sugar is a complex combination of issues. You may be able to address it with some combination of the following.

-Take Cinnamon supplements (Increases the
body's ability to regulate sugar)
- Avoid foods with sugar and simple carbs
- When you eat carbs, eat them with lots of
fiber as it slows the absorbtion of sugar
(from carbs)
- If you want more calories eat healthy fats
including dairy
- And by the way, Red Yeast Rice supplements
can reduce cholesterol. However, the latest
studies show no correlation between heart
disease, strokes and cholesterol.

Thank you for the advice, I'll keep it in mind smiley
5 years

Just for interest,

I have a great doctor. My cholesterol was borderline high along with my blood pressure. She said "I am going to write you a prescription for a statin for the Cholesterol and a med for the BP."

I said "no, we are not going to do that" what are the other choices. And that is when she suggested the things I passed on to you ... that worked well by the way.

She also told me, that doctors (at least in my state) HAVE to suggest treatment as recommended by the AMA guidelines or they could lose their license. Once I say, "nope, not doing that, what else can I do" she can suggest other things .... including what she might have preferred to suggest in the first place.

So, even if your Doctor is aware of the studies showing that Cholesterol is not that big a deal for example, he may feel compelled to push you into meds anyway to protect his license. You gotta inform yourself and push them a bit sometimes to get the best care!
5 years

fatchance:
Just for interest,

I have a great doctor. My cholesterol was borderline high along with my blood pressure. She said "I am going to write you a prescription for a statin for the Cholesterol and a med for the BP."

I said "no, we are not going to do that" what are the other choices. And that is when she suggested the things I passed on to you ... that worked well by the way.

She also told me, that doctors (at least in my state) HAVE to suggest treatment as recommended by the AMA guidelines or they could lose their license. Once I say, "nope, not doing that, what else can I do" she can suggest other things .... including what she might have preferred to suggest in the first place.

So, even if your Doctor is aware of the studies showing that Cholesterol is not that big a deal for example, he may feel compelled to push you into meds anyway to protect his license. You gotta inform yourself and push them a bit sometimes to get the best care!

My doctor suggested excersise, less candy, as he I assume he said because he assumes I must eat tons of candy which I do not, I like candy but I don't eat it day in and day out and that did me the urge to roll my eyes a bit, smaller portions of food, he also suggested an appointment be made for in a months time, I go to this doctor to get my asthma medication refilled when it needs to be and it doesn't need to be refilled right now, and also as I said before in my original post was that he also reminded me of the cbc test as he just slid that in there to test white blood cell levels but he also said it was probably because I was sick during that time and I was, and I'm not sick anymore currently. I'm just taking my baby steps so I can keep big shape and still be my fat beautiful self while being in better health for my own self. I actually will be going out today conveniently so I'll look for the Cinnamon tablets while I'm out smiley
5 years

I'm also taking One A Day Women's and Airborne for my immune system so I have to get more Airborne while I'm out anyways XD
5 years

I get mine from Amazon, NOW Hawthorn Extract and Puritans Pride Red Yeast Rice.
5 years

Do know that your doctor has taken an oath to heal and help you, and that they also must protect themselves from malpractice lawsuits and do their duty in helping you to a healthier place.

I know you don't want to cut out everything you love, but do take some of the other ideas on the thread for gaining, but keep in mind your doctor is just doing their duty.
5 years