General

What was your high school experience like?

alanz:
I was invisible until my classmates needed me for something. And I had a really difficult time learning how to socialize.

I enjoyed high school. but I was really skinny. 5'4 110 pounds. So I got teased regularly. After high school I got really determined to get thick...and look at me now
5 years

I was very awkward in HS, and have always been an introvert. But it was a small town high school, and everyone knew everyone. So over all it was a great experience. I didn’t take school seriously, but I was smart enough to do OK, even in AP classes, and stayed out of any real trouble. Really my biggest regret was not stepping up and dating more, and ignoring ( in a romantic sense) some chubby girls because I let my perception of attractiveness be influenced too much by society. The latter flipped on it’s end 6 months after graduation when a fat girl held my hand, and my heart stopped. For various reasons, it was a year before we went out again, but I was bit by the chubby girl bug.

Lots easier being a somewhat withdrawn guy than girl, and lots easier with you are still respected, even if not for your social skills.

College was more of the same, social skills we a bit better, but I went from a 600 student HS to a 20,000+ student university. But I was in engineering, so again, kind of a small town atmosphere ( smaller classes, lots of the same students, lots of labs and projects.). And the school was very friendly.
5 years

My high school experience was interesting, but it wasn't the worst. I got into fights with other girls, but my counselor suggested I join the debate team, which was a savior for me and I stopped being so hot headed.

I was in other various clubs and had a close group of people I called my best friends, but I was friends with people in all different groups of people. I was extremely creative and loved art classes the most. I always kept a journal on me and would constantly write things like my observations and one liner poetry.

While interesting, I might be in the minority of being okay with it if I had to go through high school again.
3 years

ShakesSphere:
Like most people here, I was an outcast. But I was the king of the drama club and took a major role in every play. I also played in orchestra and in a garage band.
I had a serious girlfriend. She was fat like me and an A student like me and we had a mild mutual feeding thing going on. The shocker came a week before prom when she came out as a lesbian. She told me she never loved me and was just using me for a cover so she could stay in the closet to her parents, who adored me.

Mcdonaldsislife32:
that’s cold man

That happened to me too.
3 years

My freshman year I was a shy, skinny geek more into PS2 games and pro wrestling.

My senior year I was a well built jock on the football and wrestling teams, had lots of friends and was an all-sports encyclopedia. Kissed a bbw in the rain after chasing her all year on my last day of school.

Very interesting transformation.
3 years

High school was Ok pretty uneventful.
Studied hard and graduated a year early at 17.
3 years

I had friends but didn't hang with a clique of any kind. Cliques were stupid IMO.
I was in an academic club because my parents made me but that bunch weren't too bad.
I did my own thing basically and never followed trends.
I did hate to see kids getting picked on but they needed to learn how to stand up for themselves.
That sounds cold I know but thats how I had to learn.
If you don't stand up for yourself people will always pick on you and use you.
3 years

My highschool experience was pretty uneventful. I was a bit nerdy / still am... haha.

I don't know why but American highschools on TV always seemed much cooler then highschool in the UK... We had to wear boring uniforms, didn't have lockers and no real outdoor space to just hangout with our cliques... Which also seem very different as we don't really get jocks or cheerleader types overhere... and when I was at school we didn't do dances or prom type events.

I really hope American schools were like that irl, otherwise my teenage dreams have been dashed!!!
3 years

FigureBySnacks:
High school was pretty awesome. I was the skinny weird chick, but I was never really bullied or anything. Stage crew, choir, anime club, Teen Advisory Board and Writing Group at the library. And when I say "weird" I mean, I did (and still do) strive to be weird af. Like running around with post-its that say things on my forehead, writing poems and taping them to my back, knee socks with capris as a regular outfit.

WaistingAway:
I can totally relate! In my high school class (BHS '72) my set was known as the freaks. We showed up to school wearing capes and masks and ran our own underground newspaper. As I recall, nobody in my group gave a shit whether you were fat, skinny, ugly, beautiful, whatever. We let the popular kids worry about all that. We went out of our way to do stuff that made us outcasts -- except to each other.

FigureBySnacks:
Haha, we were going to start our own paper, but apparently doing so would get you suspended/expelled because the uncle of one of our friends ruined that for everyone well before we got there! I don't think many people would have blinked if I wore a cape. I did somehow get away with wearing an "illegal" trench coat rather often. I'm not sure how I never got in trouble for dress code violations.

And what was under the trench coat?
3 years

FigureBySnacks:
High school was pretty awesome. I was the skinny weird chick, but I was never really bullied or anything. Stage crew, choir, anime club, Teen Advisory Board and Writing Group at the library. And when I say "weird" I mean, I did (and still do) strive to be weird af. Like running around with post-its that say things on my forehead, writing poems and taping them to my back, knee socks with capris as a regular outfit.

WaistingAway:
I can totally relate! In my high school class (BHS '72) my set was known as the freaks. We showed up to school wearing capes and masks and ran our own underground newspaper. As I recall, nobody in my group gave a shit whether you were fat, skinny, ugly, beautiful, whatever. We let the popular kids worry about all that. We went out of our way to do stuff that made us outcasts -- except to each other.

FigureBySnacks:
Haha, we were going to start our own paper, but apparently doing so would get you suspended/expelled because the uncle of one of our friends ruined that for everyone well before we got there! I don't think many people would have blinked if I wore a cape. I did somehow get away with wearing an "illegal" trench coat rather often. I'm not sure how I never got in trouble for dress code violations.

I wasnt allowed to write for the school paper because "Red Sox updates aren't important." Meanwhile the "sportswriter" consistently got our names wrong in the paper after football games and wrestling meets.
3 years
12   loading