General

New terminology to match new ways of thinking about fat and thin

tomsiliconejones:

However, I would like to know what ways do people think about thin women in ways that are dismissive of them, in the same way that most people are dismissive of the voluptuous fat women that we love.

During my more depressed spells, in which my pessimism towards other human beings is harder to control, I think of skinny women as being weak-minded for giving in to the pressure society puts on them to punish themselves and stay thin. This is very disingenuous of me. But it's nevertheless my first fleeting thought before I clear the idea from my mind, in the same way someone else would think of a fat girl as being weak-minded for giving into food so easily. I wish I didn't sometimes think about skinny girls this way. It's unfair of me to have that thought. There are countless societal pressures that I, along with everybody else, give into. I have no real grounds to point at them and accuse them of "not thinking" or something... But I still wish girls (as well as men) didn't get that sharp pang of anxiety every time they hear the word "weight". It's mentally harmful. People would be so much better off without it. I watch friends of mine get sick with anxiety about it because they think the first thing that happens when you get fat is your worth plummets so low that everyone around you would sell you for a grape.
5 years

SkinnyGainer3:
Also it's starting to sound like disdain towards thinner people. We shouldn't lower our standards and be dismissive of thinner people just because some sad people are dismissive of fat people.

Not everyone who is thin is thinner because they are afraid of getting fat either, I will add. For some of us we are naturally that way (and eat more than many fat people too).

Exactly. I'm one of those naturally thin people.

Once again, for me any disdain comes when I'm more pessimistic. That's what depression does. Makes you think negatively. Not only towards yourself, but towards other people too. You just have to always be mindful of how to be a reasonable human being and not hold strangers to standards that don't directly impact you...
5 years

Especially we, who often face the judgement and discrimination from others, should be careful to not become hypocrites.

Hating and judging thinner people, or people who prefer thinner partners, would make us just as bad as those people who hate fat (or fat-loving) people.

Even if (or maybe especially if) you find thinner people physically repulsive, you should understand that there are people who find fatter people physically repulsive. And just as you would appreciate if they kept that opinion and taste to themselves and didn't harass fat people, so should you not hate or attack thinner people.

Back to the topic.

We shoudln't hijack words. I wouldn't call those people thin who have visible fat deposits protruding out of their bodies. Of course, I wouldn't call just slightly plump people fat either. I would say those who are the so-called "Hollywood pudgy" should still be considered normal weight. For example, I would consider Bridget Jones to be of normal weight, and anything bigger would be plump or pudgy.

The only aspect where my definitions would slightly deviate from the mainstream, is at the highest levels. Most people would find those who weight twice as much as would be normal for their height as horribly obese. for me, they are just merely big, or fat. (not big for me, I mean). Super-size, for me, would be someone with at least 3x normal weight.
5 years

Let's also remember that being overweight or underweight is unhealthy. The reason we call normal weight "normal weight" is because it's a healthy weight range for most people.
5 years