Body inflation

Coke and mentos bloat, risks?

Hello, i wanna try a mentos and coke bloat but i wanna know if there are too many risks. Anyway, there are any other ways to bloat/inflate easily? Thanks
5 years

There are virtually no risks with a coke and mentos bloat.
It's no more dangerous than drinking soda alone.

And there's a pretty good reason for that.

The physical reaction that takes place when you drop a mentos into a bottle of soda can not take place within the human stomach.

Said reaction, which is called "nucleation", is caused by the pitted shell of the mentos providing a place for bubbles to rapidly form, in the otherwise smooth plastic bottle.
Once you've drank the soda, the carbondioxide has already started to separate from the soda.
And swallowing a mentos does nothing to hasten that effect.

Any sensation of feeling any more bloated than you would be, from simply drinking soda, is just a placebo.

That said, there is a silver lining here.
Since the coke and mentos reaction never creates gas, and only releases what's already there, you never needed mentos anyway.
All of that carbon dioxide will still be released into your stomach.
And if you can keep yourself from burping it back up, you'll get just as bloated with soda alone as you could have hoped for from a coke and mentos reaction.
5 years

Rez13:
There are virtually no risks with a coke and mentos bloat.
It's no more dangerous than drinking soda alone.

And there's a pretty good reason for that.

The physical reaction that takes place when you drop a mentos into a bottle of soda can not take place within the human stomach.

Said reaction, which is called "nucleation", is caused by the pitted shell of the mentos providing a place for bubbles to rapidly form, in the otherwise smooth plastic bottle.
Once you've drank the soda, the carbondioxide has already started to separate from the soda.
And swallowing a mentos does nothing to hasten that effect.

Any sensation of feeling any more bloated than you would be, from simply drinking soda, is just a placebo.

That said, there is a silver lining here.
Since the coke and mentos reaction never creates gas, and only releases what's already there, you never needed mentos anyway.
All of that carbon dioxide will still be released into your stomach.
And if you can keep yourself from burping it back up, you'll get just as bloated with soda alone as you could have hoped for from a coke and mentos reaction.

I strongly disagree. I have drank an entire coke bottle and also done coke+mentos and can say that adding mentos helps hasten the reaction. I have also tried this with one of my best friends who has a weaker, smaller stomach than mine and almost puked while burping often while i could hold the gas in. Therefore my conclusion is that it works.
4 years

Makashore:
I strongly disagree. I have drank an entire coke bottle and also done coke+mentos and can say that adding mentos helps hasten the reaction. I have also tried this with one of my best friends who has a weaker, smaller stomach than mine and almost puked while burping often while i could hold the gas in. Therefore my conclusion is that it works.

I'm sorry to say it, but that's just the placebo effect.
Believing that swallowing mentos will make a difference, tricks your mind into thinking that it has made a difference.

Scientifically speaking, swallowing mentos makes absolutely no difference, when drinking soda.
Other than, I suppose, having the added mass of a mentos in your stomach.
Which is hardly a significant difference.
You could be eating any candy, at that point.

As for the anecdotal evidence provided, isn't it possible that your friend, who you have described as having a "smaller, weaker stomach", almost threw up because they drank too much soda, too fast?

If you'll allow me to interject with my own anecdotes; I have, by no means, a small or weak stomach. But I have made myself sick, by chugging excessive amounts of soda, sans mentos.

Again, you don't need some magic, physics-defying breath mint, to bloat up from the carbon dioxide in a bottle of soda.
It's already going to happen, from the soda alone.
So you may as well save your mentos-money, and just use it to buy more soda, instead.
4 years