General

So how about that black hole?

For those who aren't aware, scientists have just released the first-ever picture taken of a black hole.
While it may be blurry, it still remains our first step into the cosmic enigma that is the black hole, and it's a massive leap in the realm of astronomy!
4 years

For those who aren't aware, scientists have just released the first-ever picture taken of a black hole.
While it may be blurry, it still remains our first step into the cosmic enigma that is the black hole, and it's a massive leap in the realm of astronomy!

What boggles my mind, is the light took 53 million years to reach us here on earth. Who knows what has happened to the blackhole in that time???
4 years

Jagger is a boss:
The black hole image looks like those clickbait solar eclipse pictures lol

On the BBC Radio 2 news today taking this picture of the black hole is equivalent to photographing a pebble on the moon.

Begs the question why they have no pictures of pebbles on the moon. Or lunar rovers.
4 years

Well apparantly the picture we're all fawning over isn't even the full image, as I've just discovered a few minutes ago; the full image is magnitudes more awe-inspiring!!
4 years

GiantPangolin:

That’s not true. It is the picture of a glazed doughnut.

Don’t try to fool me!
4 years

Begs the question why they have no pictures of pebbles on the moon. Or lunar rovers.

Because obviously the Moon doesn't exist, it's just projected unto the sky to fool us.

Joke aside, the Moon moves too fast for the exposure time needed for this imaging method.
4 years

curiousv:
Because obviously the Moon doesn't exist, it's just projected unto the sky to fool us.

Joke aside, the Moon moves too fast for the exposure time needed for this imaging method.

I've seen astronomers use motors on their telescopes to track what they are looking at. The motors seem to keep up.
4 years