Fat experiences

Strangest way you've noticed gaining?

Hey, so there are a lot of posts about how our gains become noticeable, so I figured I'd share kind of a random one.

I have always hated shaving in the morning because using my beard trimmer makes such a mess of clippings all over the place that take forever to clean up. They're on the sink, on the floor, everywhere.

Lately. however, i've noticed cleaning up has gotten a bit easier, and there isn't nearly as many clippings to deal with. Just last week I realized that it's because I gained about 15 pounds, and now all the clippings are landing on my belly instead of hitting the floor!

Hidden blessing I guess
4 years

I think it was when my stomach became less and less ball-shaped, as I was losing muscle mass as I was growing fatter and fatter, and more begun to sag over my waist. It definitely leads to a lot more bounce than I used to have back when I was simply chubby.
4 years

Thaynor:
I think it was when my stomach became less and less ball-shaped, as I was losing muscle mass as I was growing fatter and fatter, and more begun to sag over my waist. It definitely leads to a lot more bounce than I used to have back when I was simply chubby.

becomingoverweight:
That's not due to losing muscle mass. That's either due to losing visceral fat or gaining a lot of subcutaneous fat.

Sorry for being dense and stupid, but what's the difference between visceral fat and subcutaneous fat?
4 years

Thaynor:
Sorry for being dense and stupid, but what's the difference between visceral fat and subcutaneous fat?

becomingoverweight:
Cosmetically speaking, visceral fat is the kind of fat which makes the belly protrude. It deposits around the internal organs underneath the abdominal muscles. Excesses of it look like pot bellies and beer/ball bellies. Visceral fat also makes the belly harder since it's underneath a layer of muscle.

Subcutaneous fat is the soft, jiggly fat which deposits directly under the skin all over the body.

They both have very different effects on health in excess amounts. Excess subcutaneous fat is rather harmless and benign while excess visceral fat is pretty bad. I can go into more detail if you wish.

Ah thank you! I had no idea, but interesting to know as I prefer the jiggly look than the ball-bellied look.

Although if it helps, another thing I've noticed really creep up as I've gained is getting more and more inflexible and unfit. Like even noticing I get worn out on my cycling to work easier is weird to see creep up on me, but I'm really kind of digging it oddly.
4 years

Another shaving related one. I noticed thatmy electric razor wasn't giving me as close a shave as it used to. I made sure I was keeping it well charged and cleaned, and eventually even replaced the shaving head, but it didn't get better.

Then I happened to lose some weight, and the shave improved. Then I realized that when my face got softer, that razor just struggled. I've noticed the same again when my weight has been back up.
4 years