Lifestyle tips

Fatphobic friend when you're a feedee

I won't disagree with any of the comments here. I do wish that we had a better suffex than "phobic" because it is a poor fit for how we use it.

"phobic" means fear, agrophobic = fear of open places, etc. Although I suppose some are afraid of fat people, or homosexual people, or whatever, in the main the people we label as fatphobic, homophobic, etc. are bigoted, not afraid.
4 years

I believe you intentionally disparage people who disagree with you by labeling them this way.

In general, people have lots of reasons they might be upset when their child brings home a same sex partner for example. it might be religious beliefs, shock because the child has kept his lifestyle choice a secret until then, simply concern for what life will be like, or perhaps actual the actual irrational fears you describe.

Still, if we expect to have our own views respected, we have to respect the views of others. The name calling and disparagement inherent in these "phobic" tags is counterproductive and the opposite of mutual respect.

None of those are invalid concerns
4 years

People are misusing the word "...phobia" so much that it started losing its impact. Many use it to describe anything from a mild dislike to just a failure to show open support.

Phobia is an irrational, uncontrollable fear. Which leads to panic attacks, clouding judgement. Which causes psychological trauma if you can't get far enough away quickly enough.

Phobia doesn't merely mean that someone doesn't like the exact same things you do or doesn't hold the exact same beliefs as you do.

I wouldn't even call it a phobia if someone really really hates something, if that something doesn't cause them emotional trauma just by being exposed to it.
4 years

Is fatphobic a socially accepted word for jealous?
4 years