Gaining

Drinking milk

I've been doing some research on drinking milk for weight gain. Seems to be a favorite (if dying out) tradition for weight lifters to add bulk. It seems to have different effects on different types of people though, so any lactose intolerance seems to make the process uncomfortable.

And as I just found out, it's best to space this out over the course of the day. I'm currently starting with a half gallon of 2% (I can't stand the taste of whole milk anymore). If this works, it's around an extra 1,000 calories per day. Added bonus from the calcium and vitamin D.

Has anyone else tried something like before and has it worked?
What kind of results have you gotten or would you predict?
15 years

Drinking milk

Scientists are always saying one thing and then saying another a few years later. It's hard to take much of what they say about diets seriously, though it sounds like a logical statement.
15 years

Drinking milk

solution? drink breast milk!!
15 years

Drinking milk

I did some mor elooking around. Lots of arguments and debates, tons of overgeneralizing based off statistitcs. It's pretty obvious this route is only going to work for a select amount of people, not everyone.

Lactase doesn't always go away. Since lactose intolerance is indicated by the body's inability to cope with lactose by secreting lactase, there are going to be some people who can and cannot drink milk. If you get stomach pains, indegestion, lots of gas, etc. stop drinking milk.

But if you don't run into any problems, you're body is still able to cope with milk and digest lactose. Congratulations, you've won $5 on a genetics lotto ticket.

Bones are a different matter though. Seems people are pretty unified on the calcium being pulled from bones to normalize the pH of the stomach, so if you're going to do this, take calcium supplements.

The "Cow bones" theory doesn't seem to be present much, so odds are it's more metaphorical for osteoperosis than anything else. Cow hormones however do exist, so depending on the milk source, it can have different effects, though interestingly enough, one of those effects is weight gain.

Studies were done on children drinking more than 3 glasses of milk per day and researchers found out that it can lead to extra body mass (regardless of the fat content). Bodybuilders like it because it's high-protein, but it's fading away as a tried and true method because of the above shortcomings.

In short, I don't think this will work for everyone, but if you're one of the lucky few who can drink lots of milk without a problem, make sure to get calcium from some different sources and you should be able to put on quite a bit of weight.

Just be sure to not commit yourself to it without testing it first. Better one bad night than to force it through for a few weeks for no difference.
15 years

Drinking milk

collegeguy2514 wrote:
solution? drink breast milk!!

Same basic structure, same problems.
15 years

Drinking milk

herb wrote:
Seems people are pretty unified on the calcium being pulled from bones to normalize the pH of the stomach, so if you're going to do this, take calcium supplements.

I don't know what you have read there, but milk doesn't withdraw calcium from the body, but supply it with it.

The calcium in milk isn't in an easily digestible form. The milk combines with stomach acid and increases the pH of the stomach, the body then pulls calcium from the bones to coat the stomach to neutralize the pH.

Statitstics show that countries with increased dairy consumption also have high rates of osteoperosis and other bone loss ailments. Correlation may not be causation, but if what I've read is true, it makes a for a strong argument against using milk for all of your calcium needs.

Another fun and interesting thing is the lactose intolerance thing. Seems several generations of Europeans couldn't even drink milk due to not producing lactase. Stands to reason that since milk is generally only used for smaller children, then theres no need for it as an adult. Evolution counters selectivly by keeping lactase production in the instestines going as a person ages.

All I'm saying is to take a calcium supplement if you're going to be drinking lots of milk. It's a just in case measure to prevent excess bone loss over time.
15 years

Drinking milk

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk
naturalhealthschool.com/acid-alkaline.html
ilri.org/InfoServ/Webpub/Fulldocs/ILCA_Manual4/Milkchemistry.htm
thehealthierlife.co.uk/natural-health-articles/osteoporosis/calcium-rich-foods-00467.html

Doesn't seem to be anything definitive in terms of calcium absorbtion. However, close to neutral isn't neutral in terms of chemistry, so the body does have to compensate for the acidity in some small amount.

This is an extermely debated subject online (and I'm guessing offline as well). I can't give tons of medical or scientific proof because it's not easily found online. But that goes both ways.

Again, all I'm saying is to be careful if you try this. Calcium comes in a number of forms and can be supplemented in addition to drinking milk.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Someone overdoses on calcium and maybe starts growing horns on their bones, but it's easily treatable by ruding calcium intake. if I'm right... Better to be careful than to risk long term damage.
15 years

Drinking milk

Thanks for the clarification. smiley

---

So, getting back to where we started, has anyone used milk to gain weight for any extended period of time (weeks, months, years)?
15 years

Drinking milk

Kaiven wrote:
Thanks for the clarification. smiley

---

So, getting back to where we started, has anyone used milk to gain weight for any extended period of time (weeks, months, years)?

i use whole milk in my WG shakes, if not cream. does that count?
15 years