General

Board games, especially his

Anyone interested in board games? I'm not talking Monopoly-Cluedo here, I'm thinking Euros like Agricola and Puerto Rico and - possibly - Here I Stand.
Any takers?
12 years

Board games nice, I have never heard of these ones, but that’s a good thing something new. smiley So what is the objective of these games?
12 years

Here I Stand, which is the one I was asking about, is a board game based on the Reformation in Europe (1517-1555). The six playable powers (and it works best with 6) are the Papacy and the Protesants, who obviously have their religious struggles going on, converting towns to and from the new faith; England , France and the Hapsburgs (Holy Roman Empire - Spain/Germany/South Italy) who gain by capturing key towns and exploring and exploiting the New World; and the Ottoman Empire (Turkey/Balkans), whom in addition to military power, also score well for piracy.
The game I played yesterday finished with a domination win for the Hapsburgs in 6 hours, when they managed to capture London, despite Emperor Charles V being captured earlier in the turn in an attempt to take Edinburgh. They literally stole the win from the Protestants, who had reached the 25-point victory target, but domination beats points. I played France and came 3rd thanks mainly to excellent results in the New World.
12 years

For more information on games visit www.boardgamegeek.com (other websites are available smiley)
12 years

igor_olman wrote:
Here I Stand, which is the one I was asking about, is a board game based on the Reformation in Europe (1517-1555). The six playable powers (and it works best with 6) are the Papacy and the Protesants, who obviously have their religious struggles going on, converting towns to and from the new faith; England , France and the Hapsburgs (Holy Roman Empire - Spain/Germany/South Italy) who gain by capturing key towns and exploring and exploiting the New World; and the Ottoman Empire (Turkey/Balkans), whom in addition to military power, also score well for piracy.
The game I played yesterday finished with a domination win for the Hapsburgs in 6 hours, when they managed to capture London, despite Emperor Charles V being captured earlier in the turn in an attempt to take Edinburgh. They literally stole the win from the Protestants, who had reached the 25-point victory target, but domination beats points. I played France and came 3rd thanks mainly to excellent results in the New World.
Thanks this sounds like a cool game.smiley
12 years

geekybibabe wrote:
I love board games, but have never before heard of Here I Stand. Sounds like it could be fun, though!

In the last few days, I've played a couple of the newer Ticket to Ride boards (India and Asia -- the team play in Asia is totally intense), TransAmerica, and Belfort. I've also played Ticket to Ride, Dominion, and Carcassonne on-line. smiley

Ticket to Ride (USA) I actually have on my 360! TransAmerica is a bit simplistic for me, but fills 20 minutes while waiting for other people to turn up at a games day. Belfort and Dominion I don't know. Carcassonne I completely suck at because I have no visual-spacial awareness lol
12 years

geekybibabe wrote:
We like it as a filler game or a game to let non-gamers in on the action.

Yes, it's good for that. Give them a taste to get them interested, and then we can wean them onto the hard stuff smiley
12 years

Boony wrote:
I'd try that Civilization board game, but only 'cause I like the actual computer game so much.

Which one? The original, that the PC game was based on, or the modern one based on the PC game that was based on original Civilization? smiley
12 years

I play Scrabble regularly, not that I'm an expert or anything, but I'm pretty good on the 2-letter words and I usually get about 1 bingo per game.
12 years

No more Catan.
12 years
12   loading