Gaining

"why get fat" - the statistics

Thanks ltb! Very interesting. It is hard to compare rankings mathematically but your method is probably as good as any and better than many.

> Both men and women give around 10% of their votes to number 3, the one about being tired of feeling guilty.

Actually the reason I got this thread going in the first place was that one woman told me that was her main reason for gaining, which surprised me. I reckon it applies to women more because women are more commonly guilt-tripped about their weight.

> 1) 46 men and 72 women have so far answered. That means that for each 2 men answering, roughly 3 women will do. How come? Any guesses?

Many women replied to the thread because I directly asked them. I'm pretty sure that's the reason the numbers are different.
9 years

Speaking as a stats geek - excellent work!
9 years

This is interesting. Good work
9 years

Nice analysis, thanks!

I find it surprising that apparently men find fattening more erotic than women. Anyone care to speculate on a possible reason?
9 years

edenever wrote:
finding it very strange that on 3% of men and 5% of women have said that "fat people are more beautiful" ?

The original topic is on this forum as well. If you read it you'll understand why. I'm pretty sure nearly everyone finds either fat men or fat women or both more beautiful, but when it comes to reasons to gain weight, it's rarely on top of the list and that's what the question was in that topic.

You might consider that strange too, but when the possible answers are nearly the same and choice is 'forced', looking at just one statistic in the list can easily lead to wrongful interpretation. You see that in the news every single day. Statistics are hard to interpret and objectify, even though it's tempting because they seem like absolute numbers.
9 years

Wowo i really envy you for your work and effort to put all those data together just for fun ;-)
9 years

Again, very nice, but when are you going to see if there's a correlation between these preferences and how fat people get?
9 years