Lifestyle tips

Ssbbws and birth control

(330 lbs here) Personally, I'm on Depo provera, aka the shot. I prefer it for the convenience of being once every three months, since as a student, my schedule isn't stable enough to take a bc pill daily anyways. I'd definitely recommend talking to your doctor about your options.
9 years

Ssbbws and birth control

One thing BBWs and especially SSBBWs have to be careful of, are the doctors who say "You are too fat to get pregnant." I've seen a lot of BBWs get pregnant not using birth control because the doctors said they would not get pregnant.
9 years

Ssbbws and birth control

I got a blood clot on oral contraceptives @ 31y/o after surgery and ~300 lbs without any other aggravating factors. Blood sugar, pressure and cholesterol were normal. It sucked. After weighing out the options I've decided that an IUD is probably best for me. I'm single st the moment and using condoms for SDI prevention anyway when necessary so I'm not going to endure the pain or expense of an IUD until I have a stable partner. My doctor felt that an IUD was safe and effective at my size.

Birth control pills should be effective for heavier women but they may experience more side effects, like I did. However, Plan B, the morning after pill may not be effective for women over a certain weight.
9 years

Ssbbws and birth control

Moved to lifestyle forum
9 years

Ssbbws and birth control

I was on the progesterone only pill for awhile. Then I switched doctors. He actually thought it was odd. He asked if my clotting factor had ever been tested (it had, and it was low low low). He told me that if I'm not going to have blood clots without the combined pill, I'm probably not going to while taking it. I've been on it for about a year now, and have had no complications.

I think that the risk may be higher for us bigger ladies (I'm a bit higher than 400), but I think doctors make it seem much more dangerous in an attempt to scare us into losing weight. (Of course, this part is just my opinion..I'm not a doctor!)
9 years