General

Flying at 375lb

Hi guys I'm going to be flying American Airlines come January and I was wondering are they fat friendly or do I have to pay for another ticket. I am about 375 now. I have looked on their website and have found nothing in regards to weight(unless I missed it). please let me know your experiences with American Airlines and if there's anything I should know or take.
Thank you
Russiandoll
9 years

Flying at 375lb

Oohh relevant thread for me because this has been on my mind a lot over the past few weeks! I'm about 325lbs and I know airlines are all different but when I flew to Tunisia this year , the leg room was tight, but they happily gave me a seatbelt extender both ways and it wasn't such the unpleasant experience I feared it might be. I'm flying on American Airlines in a couple of weeks and I'm finding myself worrying again about how tight the seats are going to be etc, especially as it's an 8 hour long flight. I need to be comfortable! Damn my ridiculously sized ass, lol.

Russiandoll, I know you've got a fair few pounds on me but I'll let you know how it goes with American Airlines!
9 years

Flying at 375lb

I agree. Give them a call in advance and see what their policies are.
9 years

Flying at 375lb

I flew United on a 26 hour journey earlier this year, and honestly I only JUST fit in one seat, like I actually dont understand the logistic of how anyone even an inch wider than me would fit with the arm rests down, but apparently they do

and i was only about 260 lbs at the time, so if you are flying with united i would definitely check up on seat guru to see what your seat is going to be like and get there early and ask politely if you can be seated with a spare seat, but beware united does have a policy that states if you cant lower the armrests or require more than 2 seatbelt extenders they can ask you to purchase a second seat.

also just for the record if you ever get a chance to fly Qatar choose them ! the seats were so much bigger and actually comfortable, also always try and get an aisle or window seat rather than middle, but im sure most people know that smiley
9 years

Flying at 375lb

One warning about AA - they switch the gate of flights without a loudspeaker announcement. So you can be waiting for your flight at the gate written on your ticket only to discover when you don't hear a boarding announcement that they have moved your flight to another part of the airport. So before boarding time you need to check the departures board to make sure that the flight is still at the same gate.
9 years

Flying at 375lb

Update: well I didn't have to pay for a extra and when I left for my trip I was back up to 380. I did fit in the sit how ever I had to lift the arm rest first to get in then pulled it down. I would have left it up but my neighbor insisted on putting it down. I did ask for a seat belt extender and the stewardess was nice to me. so all in all American Airlines was okay.
9 years