Gaining

Judgement from family at xmas?

I must carry my weight really well, because all I got was a remark after a hug.

"Are you on steroids or something?"
9 years

I remember a cousin of mine came to a family event and had gained a lot of weight. I don't think anyone said anything to his face, but there were quite a few comments behind his back. People were particularly amused how quickly he got in line once the food was served (it was buffet-style).
9 years

Cupkake wrote:
Since July I've really packed on the pounds. My face is particularly fatter and I have about two new chins, haha. My niece said "Auntie looks like Santa!" smiley
I'm never offended...I work hard to gain, so it's kinda nice when someone notices.

Haha it is nice that hard work didn't go unnoticed. I didn't get any direct comments but its hard not to notice that at every Christmas I'm at least ten pounds fatter.
9 years

It's good to hear a mostly confident lot of happy big people, judging from the comments. I'm grateful my family doesn't judge my choice of girlfriend. I'm currently in love with a sweet, confident, short, chubby girl and I really couldn't be happier. smiley
9 years

My family didn't say anything to my face, makes me wonder what they say when I'm not in the room, though.
9 years

Yeah, that is funny: I have heard very few direct comments, because everybody is so incredible polite (reminds me of that scene in Fight Club when they are instructed to offend and annoy people and they just try so hard to be polite). But I can tell that with friends and family alike everybody is constantly thinking about it, and wish to say something, but then decide against it.
When they finally say something, it is so indirect and harmless. If they only knew that it is all on purpose, that I'm fully aware of what is going on and chose it willingly.

I think most people are obsessed with food and fat, they love the first and are scared to death of the second (non feedees I mean), because fat has such a huge social stigma. I had a feeling last time at the doctor, that she had notice that I had fattened up and probably was struggling with it herself. Was one part of her wondering if it is contagious, like the obesity epidemy everybody is talking about? ;-) *LOL*
It is just funny to me. Especially when watching TV, you see all these cooking shows, it is outright insane how many there are by now and everybody is obsessed to cook the most delicious food, BUT, behold, you must never taste it or heaven forbid, EAT IT, because that will make you fat.

Pushing you to like something, advertising it, but then being punished and bedeviled if you do actually like and enjoy it?
The best definition of insanity if I ever saw one ;-)

I just wish I could tell people in my family: "Oh no, that is no accident, I gained on purpse. I will actually get quite a lot fatter still, I won't look as thin as I do now pretty soon"

But it is just a waste of time, they will never get it and while having zero positive effect, it will only seed adversity and concern.

I my experience is has been easier and better to tell friends that are not too close, because you can chose who that is, with family you are stuck forever and there is no undo (unlearn) button.
Also, for some people family have a huge and powerful influence over them that they cannot escape. And the doubter that constantly fights weight gain has just gotten several advocates in the family outside.
9 years

no if you have to talk about you should tell it to onces face but...on the other hand some ppl react very hurt when you do ....
9 years

I put on 43 pounds this year so I was prepared for a cascade of comments. I know which family and friends would be the real intrusive and try to call me out in front of everyone. I did my best to stay clear of them. I was surprised that the comments were not too bad. I did get a lot jaw drops from those who have not seen me in a year. I just played it cool and confident.
9 years

While being teased myself is horrific, I think it's hot if the man I'm with is teased by his family. Especially if I'm there to defend him, cuddle him, and feed him a cheesecake after they've all gone to bed.
9 years