forum  weightgain

psychological disorder?!3 months

HectorTheConvector:
I don't think it is any psychological condition, as long as it's not interfering with your life in any negative way.

This is the crux of it. While it is true that various things have been considered disorders historically (e.g. homosexuality) that aren't anymore, that is essentially moot. Modern psychology has established a general definition of a disorder that all disorders follow. A disorder is any personality or mental trait which negatively interferes with a person's life. If you can be a happy, productive member of society while engaging in feederism, then it is not a disorder. End of discussion.

I have a B.A. in psychology. It's not a mental disorder.

Something that might help in understanding modern classifications of mental disorders (i.e., the DSM 5) is that a big purpose of having a "diagnosis" is to bill health insurance for treating it. In no way does this imply that something in the DSM is "wrong," but just that getting professional help is in that person's best interest. For example, gender dysphoria is in the DSM--NOT because there's something wrong with being transgender, but because transgender people benefit from services such as HRT and psychotherapy to alleviate their suffering just as antidepressants and psychotherapy aim to alleviate the suffering of those with depression. So, even though feederism is a "paraphilia," which is in the DSM as a general category, it's NOT because there is anything wrong with having a paraphilia, it's just because having a paraphilia might cause people enough distress that they can benefit from professional help, because they, say, worry that there is something wrong with them. smiley

5HT1A:
I have a B.A. in psychology. It's not a mental disorder.

Something that might help in understanding modern classifications of mental disorders (i.e., the DSM 5) is that a big purpose of having a "diagnosis" is to bill health insurance for treating it. In no way does this imply that something in the DSM is "wrong," but just that getting professional help is in that person's best interest. For example, gender dysphoria is in the DSM--NOT because there's something wrong with being transgender, but because transgender people benefit from services such as HRT and psychotherapy to alleviate their suffering just as antidepressants and psychotherapy aim to alleviate the suffering of those with depression. So, even though feederism is a "paraphilia," which is in the DSM as a general category, it's NOT because there is anything wrong with having a paraphilia, it's just because having a paraphilia might cause people enough distress that they can benefit from professional help, because they, say, worry that there is something wrong with them. smiley

Interesting. So it's just in there so that if someone goes to a therapist all worried about it the therapist can look it up and say "It's not a mental illness...don't worry about it. That'll be $90."?

Lol, yeah, basically, if you're cynical. Which I'm not saying I'm not. smiley

I don't know if any of you have this but I have compulsive over eating disorder.
They call it an eating disorder so is it physical or mental? who knows.
Some may just call it binge eating so there is a real grey area and it must be different for everybody.
I have gone to overeaters anon meetings and it didn't help,taken medication to curb it and that didn't help.

Ditzy:
I don't know if any of you have this but I have compulsive over eating disorder.
They call it an eating disorder so is it physical or mental? who knows.
Some may just call it binge eating so there is a real grey area and it must be different for everybody.
I have gone to overeaters anon meetings and it didn't help,taken medication to curb it and that didn't help.

I don't know what it is or isn't either!
I just live with it! profound enough!
2 page 2 of 2   loading